The GMT time system

Place to hang out and talk about anything.

Postby Coldraven » Sun May 12, 2002 10:30 am

Hi, I wanted to clerify how the GMT system worked in summer time to prevent further problems when we have our next meeting.
I searched the net for a while and came across this page http://greenwichmeantime.com/ with the following information.

Greenwich Mean Time or GMT is the time standard against which all other time zones in the world are referenced.

<b>It is the same all year round and is not effected by Summer Time or Daylight Savings Time.</b>

GMT was originally set-up to aid naval navigation when the globe started to open up with the discovery of the "New World" (America) in the fifteenth Century.

It was not forced on to "land-lubbers" until the introduction of the railways (railroads) in the mid nineteenth century. In the 1840 's with the introduction of the railways (railroads) there was a need, in Britain, for a national time system to replace the local time adopted by major towns and cities. Greenwich was the national centre for time and had been since 1675. It was not adopted officially by Parliament until 2 August 1880.

Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) was adopted by the United States (USA) at noon on 18 November 1883 when the telegraph lines transmitted time signals to all major cities. Prior to that there were over 300 local times in the USA.

Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) was adopted universally on the 1 November 1884 when the International Meridian Conference in Washington, DC, USA met. From then the International Date Line was drawn up and 24 time zones created.

Today, GMT is used as the UK's civil time, or UTC. But to navigators, GMT has referred to "UT1", which directly corresponds to the rotation of the Earth, and is subject to that rotation's slight irregularities. It is the difference between UT1 and UTC that is kept below 0.9s by the application of leap seconds.

President
----------------------
You know I am watching you..

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Coldraven on 2002-05-12 20:32 ]</font>
Coldraven

Postby Hejiro » Sun May 12, 2002 2:23 pm

Also, don't forget our timezone page: RKFF Timezones . Not only does this give you current GMT, but also the times of other members. If you wish to be on the page, send me a forum private message or email.
Hejiro

Postby Felicity » Mon May 13, 2002 2:19 am

Ah Hejiro It is something wrong with that page. We are on Daylight savings here so we are now gmt+2 during summertime.
Felicity

Postby Felicity » Mon May 13, 2002 2:22 am

Come to think of it, it would be great to have the timezones on the memberspage. Feasible?
Felicity

Postby Zepto » Mon May 13, 2002 4:48 am

Would it be of interest to have OOK members names and timezones added also? It might be a good joint location for people to go and see who is most likely avaiable to team with.
Zepto

Postby Hejiro » Mon May 13, 2002 2:22 pm

Fel, I've updated Norway/Sweden to +2. I have a similar issue going from +10 to +11.

What I forsee for the future is each forum member looking after their own timezone setting, which would automatically group them in some timezone page. But I do not know if this is possible with this current system.

Zepto, I don't think that's a bad idea. Perhaps after each person's name there could be their guild initials in parentheses: Hejiro (RKFF), Zepto (OOK) etc

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: hejiro on 2002-05-14 00:25 ]</font>
Hejiro

Postby Zepto » Mon May 13, 2002 3:27 pm

Well, I am CST along with the RKFF members that I have never seen. :smile: I will try to get the time zone info out of my guild mates.
Zepto

Postby Herich » Mon May 13, 2002 11:43 pm

You need to add a hr to the eastern time zone.. and add me!!!! <-- eastern with Tripe

~herich~ out.
Herich

Return to Chit chat