Game performance -- graphics

Place to hang out and talk about anything.

Game performance -- graphics

Postby Hejiro » Tue Oct 22, 2002 4:26 pm

Since I upgraded my computer from a TNT2 to GF4, the game actually feels like it runs more sluggishly. I like to run in windowed mode, but even fullscreen doesn't make much difference.

Anyone else have a GF4 and have any advice?

Desktop: 1152x864x32 @ 75Hz
AO: 1024x768
I've tried fiddling with textures and colour depth, but nothing really makes the framerate increase much.

It's mostly just the cities that cause the most trouble, usually 8-15fps. Inside buildings can shoot up to 30+fps even with 4x AA.
Hejiro

Postby BigSwede » Tue Oct 22, 2002 4:37 pm

I have a GF4 MX440 in my ordinary rig, and it runs well. In the cities I think its rather the sheer number of players that cause the sluggish movement than bad graphics setup. I have sluggish aswell in the cities, especially Tir nowadays. It can be real horrible.

Try to set down the range you see people on. I did and it immediately ran faster. On the family rig I have a TNT ultra and I must be using every ounce of its performance, because the difference between this and my GF4 is like comparing a Volkswagen to a Porsche :)
BigSwede

Postby Hejiro » Tue Oct 22, 2002 4:57 pm

Ah yeah.. now that you mention it, I remember reading about creating macros or script commands to quickly increase and decrease view distance -- click one for entering a city, and another when leaving. I'll have to try to find that again.
Hejiro

Postby BigSwede » Wed Oct 23, 2002 5:03 am

Oh there are macros for that?? Please share when you find out.. It would be useful for me aswell
BigSwede

Postby Coldraven » Wed Oct 23, 2002 6:11 am

Hi, I have a GF4 TI-4400 and have no problems at all.
Here are some tips to increase your speed.
Did you uninstall your card from windows before setting it up?
If not, you need to do that. If you can't find it in contral panel -> system during normal windows session you have to enter trough safe mode.

Did you install the drivers on top of the old ones?
If so uninstall all your drivers and reinstall.

Did you use the drivers on the CD?
Don't use them, instead go to http://www.nvidia.com and downlaod the latest Detonator drivers. The newest one is Detonator 40, version 40.72 Beta
That driver will in some cases give you a 25% speed increas.

Did you change the settings in AO?
When you got your new card you need to run settings before starting the game, to make it discover the new drivers.

Hope it helps out.
Coldraven

Postby Cogs » Wed Oct 23, 2002 9:54 am

Yep, Cold is right! Update those drivers, folks, the supplied ones are shaite :D !
I have those scripts you need, I use them myself. They are as follows:

LOW:
/delay 1
/text View setting: Low
/viewdist 60
/chardist 20

MEDIUM:
/delay 1
/text View setting: Medium
/viewdist 70
/chardist 40

HIGH:
/delay 1
/text View setting: High
/viewdist 90
/chardist 100

Just name the scripts low, medium and high. Then, when ingame, just invoke them as you would any other script. You WILL see a difference :)

Cogs
Cogs

Return to Chit chat