Kid's Guide to AO for new players

The how to's (posting only allowed by Cerberus members)

Moderator: Smacdevil

Kid's Guide to AO for new players

Postby Kid » Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:20 am

Definitions:
Mob or mobs : Mobile enemy who's sole purpose in life is to wait for you to get close enough for them to tear your head off.

AI : Aliens Invisible, since if you start in the shadowlands, you're not gonna see them any time soon.

RK : The planet Ak-ibur, though commonly called Rubi-Ka ever since that dyslexic Gamemaster mispelled it while programming.

SL : The name lazy typists give to SL (like me).

Womp-Pah : Guess which gamemaster was responsible for this?

Aliums : Big ugly things that scare the life out of you. And no, I don't mean Atrox's. Phrase was coined by guys on drugs trying to spell the word 'aliens'.

Alpha Strike : Using every special & attack you have and then realising that you pissed the mob off big time and he's going to kill you.

Some of the classes:

Adventurer : Those annoying little birds, wolves and leets running everywhere that can somehow still use 2 guns simultaneously.

Agent : The guy that mobs love to hate. Normally seen face down on the ground 3 secs after they attack a mob with an alpha strike.

Bureaucrat : Commonly called 'crat' since few people can spell bureaucrat properly. If the mob ain't attacking anymore, and you've 1% health, you can thank the nearest crat.

Doctor : Your best friend, even if you can't stand the idiot.

Enforcer : You know all those US military tanks you see in Iraq? Well enforcers are like that but with legs and they've learned not to attack friendlies.

Engineer : The person you run to when your yalm don't work anymore due to the fact that you were drink driving and crashed into every static object in the game world. They seem to like scary robots too, so I think they are japaneese.

Fixer : Only rumored to exist. If one could stand still for more than 5 secs, we might be able to verify their existence.

Keeper : Honestly haven't a clue and don't really care. The seem to prefer swords instead of guns, which is just plain dumb!

Martial Artist : These amazing people can do more damage with their bare hands than you likely can do with some huge kick-ass gun. How and why is a mystery.

Meta-Physicist : Someone got confused during game development and thought this was a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game. This is the result. They normally have 3 pets who look almost as ugly as their owner.

Nano Technician : At low levels, these are the people running past you screaming for help. At higher levels you wish they were around when you get surrounded.

Shade : At lower levels, they are the corpses you see scattered around the place.

Soldier : Rambo gone wrong. Enough said.

Trader : Their sole purpose in life is to make you as poor as possible.

Now for some tips starting out:

1. Beg for items, money and help from every high level player you meet. They have loads of stuff and would love to share with you. You don't even need to say please.
It's best to do this in every channel at least once per minute.

2.If you are being chased by lots of nasty mobs, run straight for the nearest player(s). If you're lucky, the mobs will stop attacking. This is called train'ing, and the person(s) you 'train' the mobs onto will be happy at the opportunity to prove how uber they are.

3. Don't bother reading any guides including this one as they are all useless.

4. All loot belongs to you, so don't forget to remind everyone else in your team.

5. If someone of a lower level is attacking a mob, you should attack it as well. The other person will be so impressed that you were able to out-damage them.

6. It's best to agro lots of mobs all at once. I mean, come on, how hard can it be?

7. If someone asks you a question, tell them to stop being such a noob, and insult them as much as you can for asking a dumb question.

8. Implants are expensive. Don't bother with them, since they don't make much of a difference anyway.

9. Fling Shot is by far the best special attack.

10. You can solo everything in the game. Don't bother asking for help with anything.

11. Swimming expertise is quite possibly the most useful nano you can buy. Get is as soon as you can.

12. Don't use the nano's you loot in missions. They are not as good as the one's you buy in store.

And that's my guide for now. I'll add more whenever I think of more useful advice. In the meantime, please feel free to add your advice to this thread.
Last edited by Kid on Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-The Doc that runs away lives to die another day.
-I am not prejudiced againts Omni's. I hate everyone equally.
-My computer goes down on me more often than my girlfriend.

==Kidkungfu
==Kidonatural
==Kidmeta
Kid

Postby Flameforge » Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:20 pm

Excellent LOL.

(Might want to correct "lowel" and "Simming" ;))
Flameforge
Website monkey

Postby Kid » Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:27 pm

Flameforge wrote:Excellent LOL.

(Might want to correct "lowel" and "Simming" ;))

Fussy admins. I've corrected the mistakes + the 2 others you didn't see.

And what's up with the formatting on these forums? Copy the text one way, and it pastes in another!
-The Doc that runs away lives to die another day.
-I am not prejudiced againts Omni's. I hate everyone equally.
-My computer goes down on me more often than my girlfriend.

==Kidkungfu
==Kidonatural
==Kidmeta
Kid

Postby Jasper2002 » Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:04 pm

Ssilly can certainly back up the swimming expertise buff item as it is buffed at every occaission.

Other than that u can spot me in chat, if not in game :D
Jasper2002

Postby Gearsoul » Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:18 pm

Keeper : Honestly haven't a clue and don't really care. The seem to prefer swords instead of guns, which is just plain dumb!

*scowl*

Ask the guild who the Main Tank was for the original aliens attacks in Cerberus, Kid. Then ask who also did almost as much dmg as the 2 lvl 220 Engineers that were in the guild at the time. Then...no wait that's all. Foesmite was pretty useless other then that. *grin*

And I'm just playin' around with u. Don't take me seriously.

KEEPAH POWAH!!!!

-Foesmite
Gearsoul

Postby Swordster » Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:55 pm

BIG LOL :lol:
Swordster

Postby Flameforge » Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:32 pm

Gearsoul wrote:Then ask who also did almost as much dmg as the 2 lvl 220 Engineers that were in the guild at the time. Then...no wait that's all. Foesmite was pretty useless other then that. *grin*

Used to carve me up pretty good too if I recall correctly. :shock: 8)
Flameforge
Website monkey

Postby Gearsoul » Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:55 pm

Yeah, but that was never a fair fight. You were like...light green to Foesmite when we started doing all that PvP fun with each other. Not much of a contest :)

-Foesmite
Gearsoul

Postby Jasper2002 » Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:31 pm

I seem to recall much cursing from Foe when we practised PvP. He would win in the end :) but it was fun watching him stand there for a minute hacking away and hitting nothing
Jasper2002

Postby Nusse » Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:55 am

Gearsoul wrote:Then ask who also did almost as much dmg as the 2 lvl 220 Engineers that were in the guild at the time.

Indeed you did, when we were afk or logged out :p
Nusse

Postby Gearsoul » Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:44 am

Whatever, Nusse! :P

Foesmite: "Foe know troof! Foe know no Engie bettah dan Keepah!"

:P

-Foesmite
Gearsoul

Postby pakse » Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:04 am

Nice guide Kid! I love it.
For those who wants to know Im getting very impatient when not being able to play this game... I wish Telia could work faster... Want my connection now!!!

Yours sincerely/Pakse
Almeara 220/30/70 Doc
Woodson 220/23/70 Soldier
Ginghis 220/21/61 Enfo
Pakse 220/19/70 Advy
Modesty 220/18/68 MA
Cathay 220/16/56 Trader
Oxenstierna 216/7/42 Crat
Metnal 210/9/35 Keeper
Tengil 160/??/?? Enfo
pakse

Return to AO guides