The Brotherhood of Muir

In-character discussions, stories, prose and poetry.

The Brotherhood of Muir

Postby Hyperion » Mon Feb 10, 2003 7:24 am

During our short time with you we have been asked several times what the Templars really are.
It makes us sad that the teachings of the Muir seem to be so unknown, even among distinguished clansmen and -women such as you. At the same time, however, we're also pleased that you show interest in our history, and we may even have a chance to spread the words of the Muir even further.

Thousand of years ago, before the discovery of Notum, before the founding of Omni-Tek, even before the discovery of space travel, the entire human population was crammed together in the small cradle of human kind: Earth. As has been shown so often over the next millenia, it seems to be man's nature to destroy the environment in a relentless and ruthless pursuit of wealth, and as what was then known as the "European" civilization expanded into new territories, so did the careless exploitation and destruction of Mother Earth.
Around 1900 A.D. our prophet, the Muir, turned the world's attention to the growing environmental problems. Through His words, His wisdom, and His strength, the young nation then known as USA finally saw the need for areas where untouched nature could bring memories of better times.
The Muir left a large number of teachings, and as mankind spread through the universe, and history predictably repeated itself, our forefathers made the foundation of what would later be known af the Muir Templars.
For the last many millenia we have travelled the universe and brought with us the seed of life that is the words of the Muir. We work always for the restoration and protection of nature, and on Rubi-Ka we have found some of the worst examples of man's horrible and disastrous arrogance when it comes to nature. Not only is the planet littered with noisy cities, hideous factories, polluting mines, and scrap yards. That is just - sadly - the normal signs of human presence, and sometimes even we must do things that revolt us, like using arial transportation, benefitting from Notum extraction, receiving help from droids etc.
Far worse is the deliberate destruction of Rubi-Ka's natural fauna through Omni-Meds continuous release of it's horrible creations. Cyborgs, Failed Experiments, Mutants, all abominations of nature, an insult to Life, and in so dire contrast to the will of the Muir.
We are here to do what we can in the effort to rid the planet of the evil Hegemony. In you we have found a band of noble warriors, and we thank you profoundly for letting us into your circles.

May the Muir guide us all

Ket Rosteen
Sek Hardeen
Het Masteen

Winds are advertisements of all they touch, however much or little we may be able to read them; telling their wanderings ever by their accents alone.
- The Muir

---

Totally OOC :o) :

The Muir cult is not one of my own inventions. The American author Dan Simmons has written probably the finest piece of SciFi (and I've read a LOT) I've yet to come across, the "Hyperion" cantos.
It's a 4-volume saga set in the middle and the end of the 3rd millenium, and one of the more interesting things found in the book is a mystical, yet very influential organization known as the Templars. From what can be picked up through the 1.500 pages of the cantos, they revere nature with an almost fanatical approach, and their guidance is a legendary figure, they only refer to as "the Muir".
Also, they are all very tall, very thin, look asiatic, and live in celibacy (don't ask me where the new little templars come from...).
At some time point I did a quick Goggle-lookup on "Muir" and discovered he's a real-life American conservationist. See for instance

http://www.sierraclub.org/john_muir_exhibit/

...So that's the story of the Muir Templars. I look forward to able to play with you again!
Hyperion

Postby Cogs » Mon Feb 10, 2003 10:32 am

An enlightening read, indeed, my friend....and one that stirs my curiosity.
The brotherhood remind me much of the environmental movements seen on ancient earth, towards the end of what we know as the 20th century.
Some of these groups, or brotherhoods, were even militaristic in their pursuit of environmental health. During these times, of course, large portions of earths life giving forests, and as well many species of animals, were destroyed.....never to be seen again.
After reading your piece here, I must be bold enough to count myself as a brother, if only in spirit and principle.

Environmentally yours,
Cogs
Cogs

Muir's blessing

Postby Hyperion » Mon Feb 10, 2003 3:16 pm

We are deeply grateful to find such support at this distant corner of the galaxy. It brings us hope for the future.

We are, of course, aware of the ancient history of the environment movement. But if it can bring any comfort, we prefer to achieve our goal by political means. We are not afraid to take up arms, but in the long run we do believe that the mind is stronger than the sword. Which is also why we all have found professions that require more manipulation than molestation.

May Muir guard you all
Hyperion

Postby Flameforge » Mon Feb 10, 2003 4:59 pm

I will admit I was ignorant of the Muir movement, until you shared your principles and believes with me in West Athen a while back. Since that time, I have thought about these things... and while it presents as a noble cause, I feel as though I am pulled in two directions.

I understand that the environment is poluted and damaged constantly... but... look at our technological advancements! We have, like you say, personal aerial transportation, nano programs to increase our abilities, cell-scanning, robotic assistants... and the list goes on. If these... tools... can be used by us for furthering our pursuit of freedom, surely this is a good thing?

Surely it is..... well... I... I don't know.

Perhaps if I can track down Hejiro, I will discuss this with him.

((BTW, that's a very interesting thing you've based your movement/religion on - the Muir and all. Have you heard of the return of the Nanomage Liberation Front? They're somewhat "extreme" in protecting the environment, and in particular stopping the drain of notum.))
Flameforge
Website monkey

*Sigh*...

Postby Hyperion » Wed Feb 12, 2003 6:48 am

Aye, brother Flameforge. You are touching a very difficult subject... We all, the Templars included, benefit from the advanced technology our civilization has produced. Farcasters, implants, EMVs (here produced by Yalmaha Corp.) and a huge number of gadgets, all ingenious inventions without which the world would look very different than today...

...There would be no miners extracting Notum in dangerous mine shafts, working as slave labor for the Hegemony. There would be no hideous mutants populating the wilderness, threatening civil citizens and killing the natural fauna. There would be no Sleekblaster shots ringing in the air whereever people of different opinions meet. There would be no toxic scrap yards where monsters like the Trash King could roam.
I think you may get our point.

Alas, the world is already constructed through the wills of the mindless billions, through the wills of the corporations, though the wills of the advocates of Progress...
All we can do is try to battle evil and still try to be as pure in our own life, as we can. Use your mind, your hands and feet, or a bow to fight. Use EMVs with care, and models with low speed and thus low pollution. Guard the environment - why kill brontos when you can kill mutants? And if in time you decide to leave the planet, we will be honored to take you onbord in one of our fabled tree ships instead of the normal dirty transporters.

As for the cell scanners our Council has yet to agree on an opinion.
On one hand the Muir loves life in all its forms. On the other, it is nature's way that the old trees fall to make way for the new.
On one hand it has helped the Hegemony spread out through the universe with amazing speed. On the other it also makes our ranks swell.
A difficult subject.

May the Muir guide your thoughts

Ket / Sek / Het

OOC:

Heh - a VERY valid point you're making there, Flame. And one that all environment movements always have to battle. The point may be less that we would not have cars etc, the point is more that so much suffering has been relieved through increased food production and especially medical development. And of course it is impossible to imagine such a dramtic progress in "good" areas like medicine etc., without development in dangerous (like weapons), polluting (like coal power), or potentially fatal devices (like nuclear weapons).
It sometimes makes me SCREAM when I see those holy, young kids harshly critizising and preaching left and right about environmental awareness while wearing their fashion clothes, riding in their parent's cars, and eating McDonald's cheese burgers. Or when animal activists condemns animal experiments and then go straight home and eat meat from animals raised under far worse conditions than those used for medical research.
My point? Environmental awareness is good, but please do take a look around and especially at yourself before you unwrap your verbal shotgun.
Personally I'm optimistic bordering the naïve. I really do believe that in time, our technology will save us from the problems it has created. Biotek, fusion power, nanotek, genetic engineering etc... There will most likely be enormous problems, if not catastrophes, for many years to come. But if we do survive as a species, my confindence in the future is almost unlimited.
Yes, it sometimes seems that technology has created more suffering than it has relieved. But it's a dynamic progress. When the industrail age started, the English factory workes suffered horrible conditions. But: 1) Look at it all a century later. The fathers may have suffered, but the sons have prospered. 2) Don't let anyone tell you that happiness was the likely alternative: To live 10 people crammed together in a diminutive hut somewhere in the country trying to survive on a tiny rye field. It's kin of like the 3rd world today - conditions in the city factories may be horrible, but there must be a reason for the urbanization anyway...

The Muir Templars are fairly pragmatic in their views (read the books!), but their project is a bit far off for my own taste.
But then again: That's where the "R" in MMORPG comes in :D

See you in-game

Kaare

PS: As this was a rather long text, I'll have to apologize for any errors. English is my second language, so I may make some confusing mistakes :-?
Hyperion

Return to Roleplaying and the arts