Ryorea's story... (ongoing, maybe)

In-character discussions, stories, prose and poetry.

Ryorea's story... (ongoing, maybe)

Postby Ryorea » Mon Feb 10, 2003 7:28 pm

Lauryn, Suzi, and Sol were back in Borealis after a long day of grid-jumps, smuggling, and sales. As ever, Sol was adding up their day's profits while Suzi looked for monster parts to feed her three meatballs.

"I'd say that couldn't have been enough creds for our trouble," Lauryn mumbled irritably. "This godawful pay makes me want to do honest work."

"Hm, three old bronto burgers in this bag...I don't think Greta will want to eat those!" Suzi giggled to herself and tossed them over her shoulder. The moldy burgers tumbled down the mountainside and fell into the lake behind them. "What was that, Ryo? Honest work? You?"

Sol chortled. "She's just disenchanted with the romance of our supposedly exciting careers. Stagecoach robbery, cat burglary...we just can't cut that on Rubi-Ka. So, smuggling med-suits and tax-free implants it is. Let's see, we have 5300 creds from that transaction..."

"I dunno. I guess I need to settle down and do something productive. It's like your cousin, Suzi. She actually has an apartment and a job and doesn't have to worry about getting killed by Omni guards while making exchanges."

"Ooooh, two crispy too-well-done-meatloafs! It looks like Greta's in luck today..." Suzi tossed them to her hovering pet, who artfully grabbed them from mid-air. "My cousin's a bad influence on you, Ryo! I shouldn't have introduced you to her! Ooh, I bet the meatloaf would actually be edible if you baked it at 350 degrees instead of something over 450--"

"Arrrrg! You made me lose track of my counting!" Sol slammed his big atrox fist into the soft grass on which they sat.

"Oops oops. Hey KT, want to share that meatloaf with Greta?"

"Well I don't know. Count me out for the smuggling run tomorrow, you can probably grab Hunter for work since he's between hacking jobs. I'm going to go loiter in West Athen and see if I can get some more rewarding work."

"You're saying we're not rewarding??"

"You're good as comic relief. Oh yeah, I'll try to look you up and we can do some work together then. Let me know if you're looking for stuff."

"Yep yep, of course, Ryo! Don't get arrested by the Athen guards for soliciting!"

"I don't mean that kind of work, Suzi. I'm not like Sol."
Ryorea

Postby Flameforge » Mon Feb 10, 2003 7:54 pm

Hehe! Interesting tale! I'd like to hear the next chapter.
Are Suzi and Sol related to you?
/scratch
Flameforge
Website monkey

Postby Ryorea » Tue Feb 11, 2003 12:30 am

Oh they're both old business associates of mine. ;p I still say hi to them once in a while but that's about all. I'm not involved in their business ventures anymore really. Uh huh.
Ryorea

A business proposition from an old friend.

Postby Ryorea » Thu Feb 13, 2003 6:59 pm

Ryorea hated dingy bars. So, bars were already dodgy in her book, with the constant threat of harassment and fear of being recognized involved with entering one. Although she was far from famous (or even infamous), the fear that an old business associate or even a friend might sell information on her whereabouts, her bar contacts, or her favorite drink was more than enough to give her the shivers.

Of course, the safest bars she knew of were the dingiest.

So there she was at that awful what's-it-called place in Tir (god, she hated the back alleys of Tir), sitting in a private room equipped with a single bare beerstained table that couldn't have been made presentable short of a large dose of explosives. Across from her was Sol and someone he knew--a short opifex who matched Sol's level of slimyness (no small feat) despite being only an eighth-his size.

"Sol, you know I hate places like this. Why did you tell me to come here?"

"Uhhh, I should introduce you. Pete, this is Ryorea. You can call her Lauryn; it pisses her off when she's already angry. Ryo, Pete."

Lauryn exchanged a nod with the 'fex and pointedly ignored Sol.

Sol continued, "You're here because I don't want neuts overhearing us in Bor. I figgured Tir was safe."

"Over-safe, yeah. I'm not in the business of crossing neuts though, Sol. I'm working for a legit guild now, you know."

"We're not crossing neuts, exactly."

"You're being cryptic, Sol. Get to the point."

"Pete can explain better. Pete?"

The opifex cleared his throat. "Yes. Have you heard of the NISC?"

"Maybe. Some neut corporation?"

"Scientific research firm. They're based out of Newland. They do offworld research, mostly on muties, and get their funding from private sponsors. Their big sponsor right now is a guy from the Magdalen system, some Martin Gregor."

"Never heard of the guy."

"He's only visiting." Pete excised a sheet of paper from a jacket pocket Lauryn didn't know existed, then stabbed some scribblings on it. "Two weeks. He's leaving in two weeks. The NISC have two weeks to show 'im that their project is worth more funding. Gregor's threatened to cut them off unless they give him results. He's got problems to solve, but he's also got scientists on other planets who're willing to do the work for him."

"What exactly are they--never mind, go on."

"So we have two weeks to get into their labs, take their specimens and as many of their notebooks and data files as possible, and shuttle 'em away. My boss is waiting with a shuttle. We're taking everything offfworld, where we're going to make a fortune by selling this all to the right bidders in the Magdalen system...maybe even to Gregor's own corporation."

Lauryn narrowed her eyes. "Crossing neuts. That's what it sounds like. I told you I'm not interested in doing that. I'm not some Fisk groupie."

Sol shrugged at Pete. "She didn't have quall...quo...quam...err, regrets like this before. She's getting soft in her old age."

"Shut up, Sol. Is that all you have to say, Pete?"

"Not exactly. Let me make my last point. It's not exactly crossing neuts when about 40% of the NISC researchers work for Omni-Tek Corporationl."

"40%? So they're not purely neutral?"

"Their official funding doesn't come from Omni, but almost half their employees are on Omni payroll. Their official policy is neutral. Also, 10% of their researchers are clanners."

"Heh. That changes things a lot, Pete. And what'll I have to do here?"

"Study some of the lab plans. We'll have someone going in with you to disable security. You'll help look for the items we want and take care of any NISC workers who might still be in at that hour. Then we might need you to rough up a few of 'em so they don't have the idea of coming after us. I'll still need time to prepare to ship these offplanet. The specimens will need special packaging to preserve 'em and prevent ICC from getting suspicious."

"Sounds easy enough."

"Don't underestimate NISC. They've got some employees who're pretty tough."

"They're not just lab monkeys then, eh?"

"Anything but. You might have a big scuffle on your hands if they're still there. And some of the Omnis have dangerous friends."

"Ok. I want to know the other people I'll be working with here. All clanners, I hope?"

"All clanners." Pete sneered slightly. "You can all make a statement about how Omnis shouldn't disguise themselves in neutral clothing."

"Oh, Ryo," Sol ventured.

"What?"

"Don't tell Suzi about this."

"Why not?"

"Her cousin works at NISC."
Ryorea

Postby Flameforge » Thu Feb 13, 2003 8:24 pm

"Qualms", haha.
Very intriguing plot! Can't wait for more.

Glad you're writing ;)
Flameforge
Website monkey

More about the NISC. (VERY BORING, read at your own risk)

Postby Ryorea » Fri Feb 14, 2003 4:46 am

(exerpted from a NISC memo to prospective investors, January 29476)

The Newland Independent Scientists' Coalition (NISC) is dedicated to the pursuit of scientific discoveries that have financially and technically viable applications on planets other than Rubi-Ka. Established in 29462 and independently funded, primarily by benefactors and organizations based in other systems, we understand that large-scale nanotechnology is not the solution to problems in locations where notum is scarce. Unlike other research organizations that focus on the advancement of heavily notum-driven technologies, we at the NISC strive to create medical treatments that require a minimal use of nanotechnology. We hope that our discoveries will improve the health and lifespans using methods that are easily implemented on a large scale.

(exerpted from the NISC annual report, 29476)

Message from Dr. Shad Boothby, Director of NISC

The 29475 year was one of reorganization and growth for our labs. We completed renovations of part of our central Newland lab and purchased vehicles and equipment for use in collection of plant and animal specimens. We hired over fifty new employees, ranging from trained technicians to experienced medical doctors. Since we got ICC approval to ship in inactive virii from the Magdalen system mid-29474, we received the samples early in the year.

Our major research goals this year were the structure determination of the Magdalen "Horseman Disease" virus and the isolation of twelve proteins from the Eye and Shade mutant lines. Our use of nanoprobes allowed us to determine that the virus consists of genetic material unlike any known to science and has a dynamic outer shell that is vulnerable to programmed nanobot attack. We have completely inactivated all viral samples to ensure the safety of our NISC team members.

We have great optimism that some of mutant-isolated proteins will have pharmaceutical benefits...

NISC team values:
-Be devoted to science.
-Work with other NISC team members.
-Strive to improve the lives of ordinary individuals.
-Do not create solutions that rely solely on nanotechnology.
-Compete intensely and succeed.
-Ensure quality and scientific rigor in all procedures.
-Remain ethical.

(from "Financial Performance," NISC annual report, 29476)

The bulk of our profits came from the Epolysate line of products. We have a 15% share in profits generated by sales. The Epolysate line is produced by Genotrope Corporation in the Magdalen system.

In addition, NISC holds short-term securities in...

We thank Martin Gregor, Chairman and Executive Officer of MagTech, for his corporation's continued donations to our research. We also thank the Board of Directors of Genotrope for their fine production and distribution of our discoveries...
Ryorea

An intercepted memo (VERY BORING as well)

Postby Ryorea » Fri Feb 14, 2003 5:03 am

I snitched this memo that was written by Suzi's cousin, the one who works in NISC. It's pretty clear that the NISC is at least somewhat OT aligned despite claiming to be totally neutral. ;p

Message transmitted to: Lakeisha Clasen
Delivered via the Omni-Tek information service
Omni-Tek protects!

Director Clasen,

Since you have expressed your curiosity about my organization, I feel that as a loyal employee working in your faction, I should explain my position and role.

The NISC consists primarily of neutrals and Omni-Tek employees. With all due respect, we believe that although the corporation has noble goals, it encourages research to progress using much nanotechnology. Since NISC attempts to create medical treatments that work without Notum, receiving funding from Omni-Tek would be against our best interests. We do not take credits from the clans either, as we are afraid that they will push us towards terroristic developments--a very real hazard in our field of biotechnology.

In response to our last conversation, I do not believe that working for the NISC and working in this guild are a conflict of interests. I am still receiving part-time compensation from Omni-Tek for my field work; most notably, medical services for other faction members.

I have spoken to Ms. Persichetti and Mr. Gaviglia about this at length as well. They both mentioned that they would bring this topic up during guild officer discussions.

Thank you for your time.
Dr. Andria Lene

**End of Transmission**
Ryorea

Postby Ryorea » Fri Feb 14, 2003 5:08 am

Sorry the last two segments have been so dull. ;p The next episode in this story arc is about breaking into the lab so it should be at least a little interesting.
Ryorea

Postby BigSwede » Fri Feb 14, 2003 5:35 am

I don't think its dull, on the contrary it gets more and more interesting.
BigSwede

Postby Cogs » Fri Feb 14, 2003 7:26 am

This is absolutely most interesting.....intriguing......I was not even aware of the exsistance of NISC, and not at all that any medical research of this importance was being carried out. Im not sure I would enter into such an operation as this, with the sole aim to ship research material and information off planet to sell. Could this info not be put to better use within the clan system.....could we not achieve an advantage in our battle against the Omni Tek regime?
I may not see fully the implications of this that you describe...but it intrigues me nonetheless, and I will of course, being a clanner, speculate on how we could use this to our own good.
I am certainly looking forward to how this will unfold.

Cogs
Cogs

Postby Ryorea » Fri Feb 14, 2003 2:48 pm

OOC:

The basic conundrum is:
-It's easiest to develop new science using nanotechnology (i.e. here on Rubi-Ka).
-Notum is too expensive and rare to be used most places off Rubi-Ka.
-Thus, the best place to develop non-nano medicine is the only place where notum *is* common.

Anyways, that was supposed to be the main line of thinking for why they're doing research on RK for drugs that are only going to be used by sick people on other planets. The illnesses the drugs are designed to cure are all easily cured with nano, but that's not practical for the common man in Magdalen, eh?

This is all part of a 2-sided story arc that's going to culminate in at least one RP event. I think we're still looking for one clanner who's willing to work for Pete and kill Omnis, but I'm not sure.

/OOC
Ryorea

Postby Flameforge » Sat Feb 15, 2003 12:51 am

This is progressing brilliantly, Ryo. I have to agree with Cogs and Bigs, that your self-titled "boring" additions are quite the opposite. They are skilfully written, and draw the reader further in to the plot.
Flameforge
Website monkey

Research and Robbery, Part I

Postby Ryorea » Thu Feb 20, 2003 4:39 am

Newland Desert was freezing cold at midnight.

Lauryn and three other hired infiltrators made their way to the NISC's main lab in the dead of night. One moon glowed near the horizon, and the lab's lights shone with fluorescent fervor ahead of them, but otherwise they were surrounded by darkness.

One of the others was Pete, that slimy opifex, whom Lauryn suspected was going to fiddle with security systems. The others were a perky adventurer who led them around invisible bushes and scorpions, and a tall, oddly quiet woman who didn't wear armor and didn't have any visible--or hidden, at least based on Lauryn's quick appraisal--weapons on her. At struck Lauryn as a bit odd, but then again, Lauryn didn't trust nanotechnology with her life as much as most other nanomages.

When they were a few hundred meters from the facility, the adventurer held up a hand and the others stopped behind him. He activated a nanoprogram and whispered back at the others, "Patrol mechdog." They continued.

The tall woman, who called herself Albea, had told them earlier that the building didn't have cameras at its perimeter. Always preferring to err on the side of caution, Lauryn remained in stealth mode and noticed that the others did the same. Except, of course, for Albea herself, who walked on as calmly as she might through Borealis in broad daylight.

When they got to the main doors, Albea brushed off Pete's help and punched a code into the access panel. She tilted her head to the side and listened for a second. "The alarm on the front door is now deactivated," Albea whispered to the others. "If there are no employees left inside, the interior motion detectors should be on. Those can be controlled from the front desk."

She gestured at Pete, who worked at the lock on the glass doors until they responded with a click. Then they cautiously walked inside.

The small lobby was quiet despite the glare of the lights, which were almost painful to look at in contrast to the desert outside. Albea entered a few commands into to the front desk console and studied the security system interface, then waved at the others to take a look. "All of the motion detectors and cameras were on except for those in this area of the west corridor. I've turned everything off."

Pete scratched at his chin under the balaclava. "Can you get cameras in there?"

"Yes." She typed in another command and a video image appeared. "Huh...it looks like a researcher."

"Is he a threat?"

"This one? No, I believe not. We should not have trouble with him."

"We'll hit the west corridor first then."

The four of them strode in that direction, unintentially silent out of habit, with only occasional rustles echoing through the empty hallway giving away their presence. Albea stopped at a door and pointed. Pete nodded to the others, then threw the door open--
Ryorea

Postby Flameforge » Thu Feb 20, 2003 6:10 am

Wooooh, you're right about that moment of suspence ;)
Flameforge
Website monkey

Postby BigSwede » Thu Feb 20, 2003 12:09 pm

Go on, go on!!!!!!!!! Damnit it's like those series on TV.. "See you next wednesday"

ARGH!! :p
BigSwede

Next

Return to Roleplaying and the arts