Sum story I received from a friend

In-character discussions, stories, prose and poetry.

Sum story I received from a friend

Postby Dandelions » Fri Jun 20, 2003 11:08 am

Hello all,

my squishy friend over at Whispers Edge has givn me dis package and he sez I should post it here. He givs his regards to... uhm... *checks a crumpled note in his hands*.. ahh... yes... Bluelotuss

Munkie felt like sleeping late this morning, considering she was up most of the evening finishing up her packing.

Stretching in the exact same way she did every morning, contorting in a manner that would make a cat jealous, Munkie pulled the shear tank top from its precarious roost, hanging on the green iridescent lava lamp. In a practiced motion she brought the garment over her lithe shoulders, the fabric barely covering her ribcage, exposing her taunt abdominal muscles.

?Lets see what that old windbag has for a response?, Munkie elicited to the side of her computer as she transformed the nearest cardboard box in to a makeshift perch.

She stabbed at the ?Activation? key, in the same moment taking notice of an insect that decided to make a home out of an empty Combat Cola can that was tipped over on the floor in the kitchen area.

"See if you can find me when i can even hide in your appartment"

?What the hell is this? she exclaimed letting the emotions take control of her words.

Munkie stared at the display for a moment dumbfounded, retracing words that had passed through her mind in the last 24 hours, attempting to realize a culprit.

?That little SHIT, what the f??, her word ended abruptly evolving in to a hiss that matched her pitched anger.

At this moment all traces of Simon had left her mental targeting rectile, and was replaced by the face of a Martial Artist that she dismissed as an inexperienced student of the arts.

She began to calculate, ?There is no way in hell that she could of pulled this off by herself, no friggen way, she had to have an accomplish, and agent I am sure?, her intellective rationalization began spinning.

"But who, what agent, at this moment might assist a person in bringing me down a peg.", her minds eye seeing an answer that appeared too obvious.

?We will see about this little escapade, and how we can pay it back in kind to this lovely little tandem?, she educed, already contemplating what she knew would be the perfect payback.
"Polka dots? Joo tell me joo dun like dem Polka dots on my shorts, huh? Ok, squishy... *SPLAT*"

Dandelions having an argument over his fashion taste with an unnamed man
Dandelions

Postby Dandelions » Fri Jun 20, 2003 11:08 am

Maiyin finally reach the tranquility and peace of the shire forest. She sat under her favorite tree.

Maiyin: Hmmm fresh air! I was lucky she was sleeping deeply. I don't know what she might have tought if she had caught me.

Maiyin was feeling really good as she watch clouds slowly dissapear from the sky. The moons were beautifull as usual. She can't stop wandering what Munkie will reserve for her if she ever put a hand on her.

Maiyin: Well hope she will not search too long for nothin. With the tips Kirika gave to me, she will never find me...

Maiyin smiled as she close her eyes for the night.
"Polka dots? Joo tell me joo dun like dem Polka dots on my shorts, huh? Ok, squishy... *SPLAT*"

Dandelions

Postby Dandelions » Fri Jun 20, 2003 11:09 am

Sidarion pulled the hood of his black trenchcoat deeper into his face trying to shield himself from the heavy thunderstorm pouring water from the skies. The few dim streetlights were almost drowned in the steady streams of rain that were filling the air.

He held his left hand close to his body underneath his coat as if he was shielding something from the ravages of the elements. Checking his sourroundings again he noticed with satisfaction that no one was out on the streets. "You wouldn't even throw a scrawny mutt out into this weather at this time of the night" he mumbled to himself.

With a discontent grumble he left the protection of the awning and leaned into the wind making his way to the arch leading away from Backyard 4 and onto a street. He turned right and walked down the alley. Suddenly he heard some rambling behind him. With a quick jump he pressed himself against a column, nervously holding his breath.

Two drunk Atrox emerged from the Cup who continued left to amble down towards the grid access terminal, singing some hideously out of tune shanties.

After they were swallowed by the darkness, Sidarion continued down the alley and took the small street down the hill, making sure to stop at the corner and peek out on the plaza. Everything was quiet. Only the faint hum of the street light was audible among the constant droning of the downpour.

He slipped into the backyard adjacent to the plaza and paused a moment, looking at the row of apartment doors. He mentally counted them and then covered the open space with fast, bounding steps, jumping up the ledge to the apartments proper.

Grim determination was written on his face as he stood facing the door where a small nameplate indicated the abode of Jolynn Creehan. He stooped down and with a deft motion of his left hand pulled something out from underneath his trenchcoat carefully placing it on the doorstep. Sidarion turned on his heels and hastily made his way back into the night. After a mere seconds every trace of him was gone.

On the doorstep, protected from the cloudburst by a clear plastic cover lay a bouquet of spring flowers, their stems inexperiencedly wrapped in a moist tissue. No note was attached to it.

Dandelions

The pot of gold at the end of Munkie?s ?solitude rainbow? ended up a pot of lead. The news of a family member damned to an early grave by an unheard of disease was bizarre and disconcerting. The personal turbulence that she was experiencing was matched by the turbulence that the Yalm was encountering upon landing in the dreadful storm.

Landing within meters of the backyard door, all that Munkie could envision was more sleep. Her mental strife was sapping her will to function as a cog in the system, a gear in her own family.

The door wooshed above her, sensing that she was walking towards it, albeit moving at a reduced gait. The weather did not affect her at all, she hardly took notice of the thunder that cracked, or the lighting flashes, they were just the ?background noise? of the moment. Nothing at this point could faze her.

?Backyard seven, empty, nothing ever happens here, kind of like everything else in my life?, she taunted her own emotion.

She didn?t possess the energy to spring up to the doorway as she seldom did, bouncing like a wild rabbit, on a Notum high. She trudged on to the end of the walkway, and slowly up the ramp, only to make the same trip in the opposite direction, to her door at the end of the row.

Munkie fumbled for her apartment key, thinking it must of worked its way to the bottom of her adventurers pack.

?Geezus, in this day and age you would think someone might figure out how to make a pack that I can organize easily?, she groused, finding her quarry at the bottom of the bag, as she expected.

>>>CRINKLE<<<

?What the F??, she stopped in mid-sentence looking down at what she just stepped on.

?A bag?? she questioned as she knelt down to retrieve the now crushed wildflowers wrapped carefully, protected from the weather.

?Who would? ?, cutting off her thoughts that someone might care, she continued in her catatonic state towards the entry.

?Some asshole playing a joke, no doubt, those f*cking heartless bastards?, she spat in incoherent psychobabble. ?They all think that I am some f*cking robot, fine, f*ck ?em all, I can?t do this much longer?, she continued the diatribe of hate, as the door sensed her key, and granted her access to the abode.

She threw the crushed flowers into a planter that was housing the remains of a once thriving resident.

?How apropos, now it has some life, I hope your happy now?, she cited to the non-animated planter, staring at it for a moment, waiting for it?s reply.

?F*ck you to?, she offered the pot that just stared at her? as a planting pot might do.

One thing and she was done for the evening, she had the energy for one task before calling it a day, or for that matter a night, she really didn?t know, for she had lost track of the time.

She sat on the now-dented, combination cardboard box-chair that was still positioned n front of her computer, stabbing the ?Activate? key, in her anger, attempting to push it through the bottom of the keyboard.

The monitor flickered to life, she typed with purpose.

Message to: {alias ?Simon?} (ipnet 12905.12453.23.87.ad)

Simon,

I have reconsidered the position in member services, with the caveat of being paired with Maiyin on assignment.

Please advise of this possibility,
Munkie!

*** message end ***

She felt that this was an innocent request, and should be honored without question, what would he know of her true intentions?

Once again, in to her darkened room, not enough energy to bring up the lights. She pulls her red, embroidered suit over her head, revealing the tank top that she donned earlier in the day. Falling back in to her disheveled bed, greeting her only true friend... Sleep.
Dandelions

As Maiyin slowly wander around backyard 7 Waiting Kirika to pay for the little service she had provided. She wonder why it was taking her so much time.

Kirika finally arrived.

Kirika: Got the money?
Maiyin: Sure here. That's about all i got.
Kirika: That will be enought. Pleasure doing business with you.

Maiyin left to return to her hiding place.

Kirika: Money i won't even taste. Got to pay back the loan i made. But there may be a way...

Kirika opened a comm channel to Munkie.... There might be potential to substancial money income here. After a long communication and a rather physical interview Kirika had what she wanted.

Maiyin was relaxing under her favorite tree when her comm beep.

Maiyin: Who might this be?
Maiyin: Hello?
Kirika: Hello again Maiyin. Think you own me more money.
Maiyin: What are you talking about? I paid you well enought for your work.
Kirika: Yes but my silence will cost you more... a lot more
Maiyin: You know i'm broke... why are you doing this to me?
Kirika: In my line of work everything is for sale...
Maiyin: You... You... I'm gonna get you for this!
Kirika: Well your friend Munkie try to squeeze me a bit to get the info but now her price is mine.... hope you have good dreams...
Maiyin: No wait

Too late the comm link went dead...

Maiyin: Now i'm in trouble. Better get some explainations ready just in case.

Dandelions

Postby Dandelions » Fri Jun 20, 2003 11:10 am

Having tought it over and over again Kirika finally decided. She open the comm link to Munkie. As it seem her usual she was probably asleep.

Message to: Jolynn Creehan

Miss Creehan,

following our last meeting i decided to accept your offer. If you're still interested in the information requested meet me later to conclude the deal.

Pleased to do business with you
Kirika

Dandelions

?Finally, a full night of sleep?, feeling completely rested after an active evening of chasing Shadow-Ops, and ?roughing-up? the person responsible for breaking in to her home. Munkie felt satisfied, her soul felt as if it had been quenched by these activities.

Walking in a half barren state (as she would often do) into the kitchen area, Munkie grabbed down a thermo-cup pre-measured with a caffeine fix. This was an especially potent brew that was supplied to her by Zixxie, a fixer of questionable reputation, however this persons reputation was not of any concern as this drink got her, most of the way there. She made sure the trip would be completed, by shooting the remnants of a stim-pack in to the concoction, shaking the cup vigorously to mask the bitterness of the drug. With a pop of the plastic tab on the side of the disposable cup, the liquid started to self-heat, and meet with a steamy temperature.

She carried the ?drug-drink? over to the the computer, placing it next to the gray shelled system, precariously balancing it on the cardboard box that was serving as a table.

Once again her rear-end found the familiar dent in the combination cardboard box-chair, easing herself in to her frequented pseudo-seat.

?Wonder who is ignoring me today?, Munkie thought as she tapped the ?Activate? key, bringing the system whirring to life.

?Okie? this aught to be good? she smirked realizing her first message.

Having tought it over and over again Kirika finally decided. She open the comm link to Munkie. As it seem her usual she was probably asleep.

Miss Creehan,

following our last meeting i decided to accept your offer. If you're still interested in the information requested meet me later to conclude the deal.

Kirika

Munkie quipped silently, ?So the little weasel is ready to play, lets see if she can handle the game?, she smiled as the response began taking shape.

Message to: {alias ?Kirika?} (ipnet 12905.12453.18.107.af)

Kirika?

I am glad you realized what would be best for you in the future; perhaps we can meet and complete the transaction by weeks end? My schedule is very tight at the moment, so we might have to meet at a moments notice. I will leave the setting at your discretion.

Munkie!

*** message end ***

?Lets see if the guppy will take the bait?, she mused as she looked for a response from a certain soldier.

?Bleh! He can go to hell, I am done with him?, were the words that echoed in her gray-matter.

Rubbing her eyes, Munkie got up from her ever-sinking chair, and made her way to the bedroom as her liquid-eye-opener began to take its effect.

Dandelions

Simon,

I have reconsidered the position in member services, with the caveat of being paired with Maiyin on assignment.

Please advise of this possibility,
Munkie!

*** message end ***

Simon stared at the screen in disbelief, rubbing his eyes and blinking a few times to check wether the message would somehow disappear again. His heartrate accelerated as he conjured the mental image of the little, twin-ponytailed Martial Artist. Entranced he sat there, lost in thoughts drifting through his mind.

"Imagine the possibilites..." he sighed...

Then, a frown crept onto his face and he shook his head vigorously to clear his head of these mental mirages that had been taunting him for weeks now. Suddenly feeling a wave of anger washing over him, he balled his right hand into a tight fist, his fingernails burying deep into his palms. A small trickle of blood dripped onto the floor, making twinkly spattering noises. The searing pain cleared his mind instantly. Glowering at his reflection in the screen, he pulled out a first aid kit and treated the self-inflicted wound.

"This is not leading anywhere, Simon."

Tapping his front teeth with his fingernail, Simon resumed staring at the message glowing softly in front of him. He reached over his small desk and fingered for the list of the departmental breakdown. He checked for the entry under his department, the Member Services section. Yes, there it was. Both Munkie and Maiyin had been originally assigned to work for him by Micia, head of the Personnel department. So, from that point, everything seemed in order. Still, something about Jolynns message made him stop, an inner warning claxon was blaring at him to stay alert.

"I know that Jolynn has no intention of working with me." He vividly recalled her contemptous refusal of his offer a few weeks prior. "For all that I know, that woman loathes me more than a biledrinker, so why this change of mind, all of a sudden? And why this specific request for Maiyin? I know she doesn't like her either, though she is also one of those barefooted groin-and-face combo-kickers. So what is going on between those two? Knowing Jolynn, she can't be up for anything good. She is much too bitter and spiteful for that." Simon continued weighting his options. "Drat, I simply can't come up with a reason for her request. And I can't see a way to deny it, either"

With that, he pulled his chair closer to the desk and started typing a reply to Jolynns request.

Message to: {alias ?Jolynn?} (ipnet 12905.12887.19.61.ad)

Dear Jolynn,

I must say that I am happy to hear that you have reconsidered your initial refusal of a position in MS. As for the "caveat" as you so aptly have put it:
I am sure that you are aware of the fact that Maiyin was originally assigned to my department, too. Since I know you a bit, I know that you must have something up your sleeve, otherwise you wouldn't be specifically asking to be assigned Maiyin as a partner. I think I should be the first to know of what is going on in my department, so I would be grateful if you could let me in on what is going on between you and Maiyin.

Your request is being granted until further notice.

Kind regards,

Col. Simon Western
Unit Commander, Member Services

*** message end ***

"Hmm... maybe I should do some research of my own. But that can wait till tomorrow. I still need to do something before that."

With that, Simon grabbed his trenchcoat and left the apartment.

Sometime during that night, a small bouquet of wildflowers carefully wrapped in protective foil was placed on the doorstep of an appartment in Backyard 7.

Dandelions

Postby Dandelions » Fri Jun 20, 2003 11:11 am

Kirika was awaken by the familiar sound of her comm watch. A sound that can mean some credits for her. She quickly activate the device...

Kirika?

I am glad you realized what would be best for you in the future; perhaps we can meet and complete the transaction by weeks end? My schedule is very tight at the moment, so we might have to meet at a moments notice. I will leave the setting at your discretion.

Munkie!
*** message end ***

Kirika: Yeah finally some credits for myself. Now how can arange this without getting caught in a trap... Ah got it!

Miss Creehan,

I have choosen a place to our meeting. Maybe the presence of people will keep you from using useless violence. The cup tonight shall be a good place. Meet me there i'll be waiting.

Kirika

Kirika: Hmmm now i just hope that there'll be poeple there...

Dandelions

Postby Dandelions » Fri Jun 20, 2003 11:11 am

?The wonderful world of insomnia, you would think there would be a cure for an irritation of this nature?, she headed out of the bedroom, while plucking ?sleep seeds? from her eyes.

Stumbling towards the kitchen, Munkie tugged the silk printed panties from her crack, covering as much ass as the skimpy garment could bear without getting uneven. Opening the refrigerator, she fumbled for what was at one time a jar of pickled vegetables, now a container for chilled water. She screwed the top off, sloshing a bit of water on her sheer tank top.

?Shit?, the chilled water making her jump and spill additional liquid, dampening her sheer white tank top in the process.

She used her socked foot as mop and attempted to soak up the wet spot in front of the refrigerator. In the end all she accomplished was the creation of the only ?clean spot? on the entire apartment floor.

Smacking her lips, trying to get the nasty nighttime gunk from her pallet, Munkie walked to the sound system and activated a blues track which included a sensory program. The altered lighting and fragrances that accompanied these combinations seemed to have a way of bringing Jolynn to an alternate existence, claiming her spiritually on many levels at once.

Her familiar parking spot called once again, almost beckoning her with the loose flap that was hanging, half torn. She obliged her inanimate friend.

Her familiar dent, her ass fit perfect now as if a mold was casted. Setting the jar down, almost knocking her thermal cup from the morning, Munkie began her ritual.

?Shit, I left this damn thing on all day?, she said to herself, almost in an admonishing tone. She tapped the space bar to bring up the display.

2 Messages, Space to Continue

?Oh my, haven?t we gotten popular?, she offered in a sardonic tone.

She tapped the spacebar once again bringing a high level menu of the messages that were available for viewing.

<alias ?Simon?> Dear Jolynn??
<alias, sub ?Weasel?> Miss Creehan?..

Staring at the first message, with her eye tracking the cursor over the ?S? in "Simon", Jolynn put forth a tired sounding ?Open?. The system complied without question.

Message to: {alias ?Jolynn?} (ipnet 12905.12887.19.61.ad)

Dear Jolynn,

I must say that I am happy to hear that you have reconsidered your initial refusal of a position in MS. As for the "caveat" as you so aptly have put it:
I am sure that you are aware of the fact that Maiyin was originally assigned to my department, too. Since I know you a bit, I know that you must have something up your sleeve, otherwise you wouldn't be specifically asking to be assigned Maiyin as a partner. I think I should be the first to know of what is going on in my department, so I would be grateful if you could let me in on what is going on between you and Maiyin.

Your request is being granted until further notice.

Kind regards,

Col. Simon Western
Unit Commander, Member Services

*** message end ***

?I suppose I might of expected something of this nature from him, he seems like the nosey type, lets see?.?

She seemed almost prepared for this type of response, she barked at her system once again, ?Mail Archives, Open Simon Archive?.

Eyeing the past messages from Simon she suddenly seemed satisfied. ?Ah there you are?, she found her target, a message from weeks before.

?Let us see how to spin this, first a response, a little guilt couldn?t hurt?, she said to the disinterested air that surrounded her.

You never cease to amaze me Simon, and to be honest I am quite hurt by your comments. I thought we were moving past the miscommunications of yesterday, but I suppose I was mistaken.

The reason I brought up Maiyin is that you peaked my interest long ago in a communication in which you brought her up, not me. Please see below?

*** Archived Message May 13.

"Such a pleasure hearing your melodious voice, Munks. It has about as much charm as a coroners bonesaw to me, right now. I see you haven't lost your talent to make my day.
Our new recruit Maiyin has already signalled her willingness to work in the Member Services department. So that makes three of us. I propose to schedule a meeting where we gather some ideas to get the department up and running in earnest. Oh, and against my better judgement, my offer to take you out for dinner still stands. The Happy Rebel comes to mind. You know, venomenous creatures are a hobby of mine. I am back to sleep and will mute my comm.
Simon"

*** message end ***

Take note of the line in which you indicated Maiyin, I am sorry. I saw this as an opportunity to work with someone that was new to our organization, and assist a like minded MA in understanding what it takes to grow our organization, now it seems I am not trusted by you.

I suppose there isn?t enough trust to move forward as a team.

I am very saddened by this turn?

munkie

*** message end ***

She smirked at her own cunning, ?chew on that one?, she was already relishing what the reply might be.

?One down, one to go?, Now lets see about our little weasel. ?Weasel, Open?, she commanded now feeling a bit more in charge of what was going on around her.

Miss Creehan,

I have choosen a place to our meeting. Maybe the presence of people will keep you from using useless violence. The cup tonight shall be a good place. Meet me there i'll be waiting.

Kirika

?Oh, this is going to be too easy?, she already started typing, almost on autopilot.

Kirika?

I have no idea why you might think I need violence at this point, it seems credits will save us both from any embarrassing moments.

The Cup is fine, but as I elicited before, my schedule is very tight and there are no guarantees as to my arrival time, of if I will show at all.

Munkie!
*** message end ***

Munkie stood from her box and made her way back to the sleeping quarters, satisfied that she ridded herself of the issues that brought her from slumber in the first place.

Dandelions

Postby Dandelions » Fri Jun 20, 2003 11:12 am

West Athens, Clan Territories
Rubi-Ka
11 June 24977, 14:00 hrs

It was early afternoon when Simon returned from a short trip to the general store to stock up on his ammunition supplies. After stowing the ammo away, neatly stacking it into a pile underneath the gunrack that held his collection of firearms, some of them rare and historic items, he went over to the desk and sat down.
He immediately noticed the small incoming message icon flashing in the corner of the holo-screen. He opened his inbox and found Jolynns message there. He opened it and read Jolynns reply to his earlier message to her.

"Nice thing that she is a good martial artist, but an immensely bad liar." he thought after reading her message that reeked of the sweet scent of faked girlish, eye-lash-batting innocence. He paused for an instant to actually attempt to imagine Jolynns face, pouting and blushing slightly, batting her eye-lashes at him. Though he agreed with himself that it actually made her look immensely cute-looking, he dismissed the picture after a few seconds because he had to start laughing.

"No", he thought, still chuckling after comparing the mental picture with the reality that was the grating, bitter Munkie, "you seriously didn't think that I would buy that, my love."
With that, he pushed the chair away from the desk and folded his hands
behind his head, closing his eyes to think about how to reat now. After
some minutes, he knew what to do.

"If I can't get at Munkie, I might try squeezing the other loose end a bit and see if I can get more results from there." With that, he pulled his personal comm unit from his pocket and entered Maiyins name.

"Maiyin, Colonel Western here. I request a meeting." he briskly spoke into the microphone.

After a second of static, Maiyin replied: "Good afternoon, Sir. Of course, where should I meet you."
"Meet me in front of the Miiir shop in 5, Western out." With that, Simon pushed his comm back into his pocket and left the appartment.

West Athens, 14:35

Simon silently walked up the alley and turned left into the small street at which end was the haute-couture fashion shop was located. He scanned the surroundings for any sign of the young Martial Artist but couldn't see anyone except the prison guards, standing vigil at the gate to the carcer.

He moved up to the colonnade in front of the boutique and waited. After
a few minutes still without any sign of Miriam, he started to grow
impatient. Tapping his foot on the flagstone floor he muttered "Ok, where is this stupid young girl?"

"I am here", replied an incorporeal voice from somewhere hard to place.

Simon spun around on his heel in reflex to face the voice. There was no one to be seen anywhere around. Simon stood there, feeling like a fool. Suddenly he heard a soft, cackling noise. Looking down on the ground, he noticed a small, colourful reet sitting in plain view on the ground, making the curious impression as if it was sniggering to itself.
Then the air around the little avian started to shimmer, as a cloud of nanobots emerged and grew taller, casting an eriely pinkish coloured light onto the sourroundings. A mere second later, the whirling cloud of light coalesced into the slender form of a small opifex woman.

Smiling mischieveously, Mailyn cocked her head and asked "Been looking for me, Sir?"

Not having thought of the possibility of a transformed bird he stood oggling Maiyin morosely for a few moments. Then he caught a hold of himself and drew himself up, straightening his uniform jacket.

"There you are Maiyin, please follow me. I have to talk to you on an important matter."

With that, Simon scampered up the parapet over the colonnade and after checking for unwelcome prying eyes pushed a rusty old door open, leading into a muskily reeking room beyond. After Maiyin had entered, he meticulously closed the small door again behind him. The room was unlit, save for the glowtorch that was hovering above his shoulder.

"Hmm you start to intrigue me sir", Maiying said with a puzzled expression on her face.

"I have to talk to you about some e-mail I received today", Simon started, "You remember that you were assigned for duty to the Member Services department?"
"Sure I remember, Sir. But what e-mail are you talking about?" Maiyin replied.
"Alright, before we start, I wanted to tell you about the message I have received this morning. Here, read this.."
Sidarion pulled out a datapad and handed it over to Maiyin. It contained the two messages he received the previous night and that morning from Jolynn Creehan.
While reading the message, Maiyin started shivering violently. Something that didn't fail to draw Simons attention. He knew that there was something wrong and he was going to find out what, he promised himself.

Maiyin composed herself and shrugged. "Ok she wants to work with me? Why so suddently?"

"I was hoping that you would be able to tell me what made Munkie change her decision from passing to work in MS to being all so interested in
joining my section to work specifically with you?" Simon raised an
eyebrow questioningly.

Maiyin was trying to look calmer than she obviously actually felt. "I don' t really know why sir," she said uncomfortably.

"Miriam, don't even try hiding something from me. I have been in this business for far too long to not notice when a former recruit of mine is trying to fool me. Out with it, that is an order!" Simon barked with a stern expression on his face. "I can't and won't tolerate people messing up my department."

Maiyin fidgeted. "Well, eeehhh, I just played a prank on her and I think she did not take it too well."

Simon tried to suppress a grin. "A prank, eh?" Then, quickly regaining his composure, he continued "Hrmph... that was a very bad idea. Especially with Munkie... I think I am about the only person in this guild who can resist the punishment she throws at me when she gets angry." His expression softened."But I have my reasons" he said glumly, heaving a sigh.

Maiyin smiled at Simon. "So, you were the shadow by her apartment that
Kirika told me about" she said, with compassion in her voice.
"I might have been in the vicinity, though I haven't seen you there."
Simon brushed aside the momentary lapse and pressed on with enquiring further details of the scheme he was sure to uncover. "So, what did you do? And why do I get this inner warning claxon telling me that Jolynn is so pissed that she pulled her special wicked retaliatory measures out of the closet?"

Miriam looked intently at Simon. "I was not there, that night. But a friend of mine was keeping watch for me."
"A friend? Really? What friend? Come on, Miriam... stop dodging me. I want the full story. Now!" Simon tried persuasively.

With an innocent glitter in her eyes, Miriam replied "I have written just a little phrase on her personnal pc while she was asleep."

This is getting better and better, Simon thought at the prospect of someone creeping into Jolynns den, for lack of a better word and leaving messages on her Comp deck. He shook his head tiredly.
"Oh... and how did you get to her Comp? Last thing I recall is that Munkies comp was INSIDE her apartment."

"My friend just helped me a bit for that."

"For what?" Simons face started to turn an angry red.

"To enter her home."

Simon couldn't take it anymore. Having to pull out every tiny bit of information like buggers out of Miriams nose seriously tested his calm. He lost the battle, loosing all patience, he almost shouted at his interlocutrice "Listen, Maiyin! This is not fun anymore. Tell me the whole thing NOW, or I promise you there will be repercussions for you!" stemming his arms into his hips, his foot tapping an impatient beat on the floor.
Miriam riled at the sudden outburst of anger but then asked almost fatalistically "What can possibly be worse than having Munkie catching me?"
Eying the wretched little opifex in front of him, her pityful air didn't do anything to quell his wrath. "Having me catch you first and then hand you over to Munkie when I am done with you." he replied, his voice a low venomonous hiss.
Miriam paled and almost tearfully choked "You? The kind and helpful Sir
Sid?" Then, she obviously decided that the time for ruses was over for her and she started telling him the full story.

"Hmm it all started simply. We were discussing a subject I can't remember. I was not agreeing with her position on the subject, then we kind of broke into argument. And she threatened to send me to reclaim after I pushed her too far I think. I believe I felt a bit cocky, but I told her she had to catch me first if she wanted to send me to reclaim."

Simon, nodding thoughtfully interjected "Aha.. that sounds like Munkie, alright. So... what happened then?"
"Then that night with my friend I entered her appartment and wrote her a message on her old computer.A couple of words that I think flared her anger."
"And this friend of yours? Is it truly a friend? She must be a shady
character if she can enter other peoples appartments undetected." Simon asked, cocking an eyebrow.
"Yes, really shady as it seems. She's gonna sell me to Munkie."
"Oh... on of those types. Lowlifes. You should have chosen your friends more wisely. did you pay her for her services?"
"She was well paid for it. An old contact I met in my time when I was in Omni-prison. Her name is Kirika."

"Hmm... do you think she already got in touch with Munkie to sell the info about your break in to her?
"Well is was clear when she hanged up the comm with me last night. But I don't know if it is already done." Maiyin said.

An idea began to hatch in Simons mind. He analyzed what he knew and mused "It would make sense, otherwise Munkie wouldn't have been so specifically asking to be posted with you. That tells us that she at least suspects you. But I believe that she can't proove it as of yet. For that she would need confirmation from that "friend" of yours. Otherwise she may be angry but she wouldn't have any hard leverage against you, Miriam. Alright, I might be able to help you. Do you have any idea how I could contact that Kirika?"

Miriam gave Simon a look of surprise. "Sir, what do you have in mind. Please, don't do anything to draw her anger upon you. I messed up, I deserve her punishment, really... i'm ready to take her anger." She swallowed hard on that last sentence.

With a bemused smile, Simon replied "But how about thwarting the double-crossing of that little gutter rat Kirika? She betrayed you, after all. Do you think it is fair that she is willing to readily sell you out?"
Yes, there it was. The plan was almost complete now. That was how he was going to do it. He uncovered Jolynns thinly veiled ploy to talk him into assigning Miriam to her. He wouldn't make it that easy for Jolynn, he promised himself. And he knew exactly how she was going to make her little ruse come crashing full force back into her face. Simon drew up his upper lip, the light of the glowtorch glinted off his incisors, giving his grin a wolfish air. Small lights seemed to start flickering in his icy-blue eyes.

Miriam interrupted his thoughts. "You are going to have a hard time
getting to her if she doesn't want to."

"Oh, I wouldn't mind doing a bit of double-crossing of my own, since Munkie obviously lied to me in her message with malicious intend."

Noticing the almost fiendish grin on Simons face, Miriam felt an icy shiver running down her spine. "No! Please act as if nothing was wrong." she pleaded.

"Oh, lets just say I might have a job offer for Kirika she can't refuse."

"Well, then you'll probably get her as she's broke at the moment.That's why I managed to get her."

"Alright," Sidarion grinned viciously, "I have a little plan to do away with Kirika temporarily."
"But don't hurt her.... i want to get to her first"
"Don't worry... she will be in a safe place for some time to come. She will be cared for."
Miriam gave him a puzzled look. "What do you have in mind?"

Simon faced her and said almost casually "Ohh... you will soon know. Leave the details to me. This concludes our little conversation. Leave now, Miriam. I have things to do."

"Ok, Sir. Good luck... she is a slicky one." with that, Miriam turned around and crept through the rusted little door, closing it behind her.

Simon remained standing alone in the gloom for a few more minutes, his
mind going through the details of his plan. Smiling, content with himself, he finally made his way to do some shopping.

Dandelions

Postby Dandelions » Fri Jun 20, 2003 11:12 am

West Athens
Rubi-Ka
11 June 29477, 15:00 hrs

After leaving the abandoned warehouse, Simon stepped under the colonnade and entered the fancy and somewhat exclusive Miiir boutique. He was greeted by a low him of droning electronic beats. Holograms of couples of variaous races in different poses dressed in the latest fashion were slowly turning on hovering display discs in the corners of the cathedral like interior of the shop.
After glancing through the men's section he turned to the opposite side and casually walked over to the ladie's section. After browsing through the different vending terminal he finally found the one touting lingerie. Simon felt a bit uneasy staring on the little screen where a lithe solitus girl of perfect proportions was showing off a rather playful combination of a string of glittering material that was strung around her form to barely cover all the sensitive areas. The shopkeeper, a young guy with glowing nanotube implants forming an intricate pattern of ghostlights on his cheeks and forehead, looked at him with disadinful curiosity. He wore a combination of rubber pants with a latex vest in garish, opalescent greens and blues. Simon spun his head to answer his questioning look with a seething glowering stare of his own, threatening him not to better not addressing him. The shopkeeper turned around to watch one of the couples on the displays instead. Pressing the "Browse" button on the vening terminal, Simon sifted through the tiny holograms of women wearing different sets of lingerie until he finally found something he thought would be appropriate. He chose the model, a one-size-fits-all strap thingie that would basically cover crotch and nipples held in a playful grey leave design and inserted the appropriate amount of credits into the vending terminal. After retrieving the underwear, he turned to leave the shop.
"One down, one more to go", he murmured to himself.

The next part would be a little bit trickier, he knew. Simon returned to his appartment and got out of his armor. He changed into a nondescript, even a little threadbare grey jersey jumper with matching pants. After rummaging around in the depths of his closet for a few moments, he finally found what he was looking for. With a contended grunt, he pulled a dented, dusty cyber armor helmet out of the closet, its hollow, insectoid eyes mutely staring at him. This had been his first helmet, back when he first arrived in old Athens, a mere mercenary at that time. It was in bad shape, scratched and dented, but it would serve his purpose perfectly. The nice thing about the helmet was that it would cover the head of its wearer fully, completely concealing any later recognizable facial features of its wearer. He knew that the built in micro had been broken a long time, so even his voice would only come across as a contorted, muffled string of words.

Choosing the busy road over the less traveled one, he left his apartment and headed towards the grid terminal. He punched in his access code and waited for the transition to be completed. He always felt a bit strange when he sensed his body sucked into tha grid, rebuild there as strings of digital information piece by piece. The azure sea of the grid with its towering pillars, platforms, daises steps and teleporters greeted him. Was it him or was there really always some kind of underlying drone here, a sound akin to unimaginably slow breathing. Was the grid alive? He would never figure that out, he knew that. With a digital shoulder shrug, the little upside down tetrahedron that represented him scooted to the edge of the bridge linking the West Athens port to various other locales off the main grid-highways. Knowing that he couldn't harm himself he leaped off the edge and plummeted towards the ground, a good 600 digital feet below. Slamming into the gridboundaries there, he nevertheless couldn't feel any pain. Not even pausing for a splitsecond he continued and sped towards the grid port that would take him directly into the midst of the warrens in Old Athens. A slum where even the sentinel special police didn't even bother to keep the order intact since this endeavour had long since proven futile.
Waiting until he would have free port access he waited and watched as a good dozen of other tetrahedrons was buzzing around the exit port, jumping, sometimes trailing fiery codas of nanoclouds behind them. When it finally was his turn, he moved onto the little dais that represented the I/O port for the Old Athens grid term and waited for that moment of eternity where his digital information was downloaded and reassembled as a physical being out in the real world again. A mere second later, the familiar blackness embraced him.

The Warrens
Old Athens, Clan Territories
Rubi-Ka
11 June 29477, 16:05 hrs

Simon was making his way through the gloom of the warrens. The air was heavy with the acrid smoke of burning tires and garbage. The alleyways were littered with filth, both animate and inanimate. People of all races were eeking out an existence here, mostly refugees from the clanwars in the contested territories. Those people were poor, having to make do with shelters patched together from sheets of discarded metaplast as homes. He silently walked through the throng of wretched creatures intently on the lookout for a small "shop" around here that was going by the name of pharmacy around these parts.
Pharmacy was a misnamer. It was run by a disavowed medic of some sort, an old guy who had been finally caught funnelling OT's prescription drugs he was to treat patients with into other channels, making a fat profit off the narcotics he sold. He replaced the missing drugs with creations of his own, mostly placebo look alikes. But at a certain point he had started tampering with his own substances, trying to synthesize at least some of the medicaments. The reason he was finally caught was that he had used impure nanobots. Around a dozen patients had suffered unspeakable agony as their bodies were slowly eaten away from inside by the nanobots gone wild before they had finally been able to die.
The pharmacist, as everyone would know him here in these parts, nowadays made a living of selling medicaments, sometimes even giving them out for free to the needy, peppered with a shadow trade of hallucinogens, stims and other illegal substances. Then there were the "specials"... drugs prepared and synthesized to order. The pharmacist was still dabbling in his old profession, of sorts. And these "specials" were exactly what Simon had in mind in order for his little ploy to kick off properly.

After walking for another couple of minutes he finally found his destination. The little shack was down a little dead end alleyway so heavily padded with filth that the pungent stench nearly overcame Simon. Cursing himself that he couldn't wear his CAS helmet that was fully equipped with enviro-protective filter systems, Simon held his breath as he purposefully strode over to the low entrance of the shack at the end of the alley. Someone with a sick sense of humour had fixed some salvaged old Omi-Med neon sign to the rickety wooden wall. The neon tubes had long since burnt out and the whole fixture was crusted with dirt. Without pausing to knock, Simon stooped down and entered the little shack.

Inside, behind a low desk strewn with lab implements sat a wrinkled old nanomage. His mouth was sewn shut, some tubing dangling out over his robe pierced his skin, right above his adams apple. The probe-joint must have gotten dirty, as the pale skin was inflamed and pus continued oozing down his neck, drying on the collar of his robes in a sickly yellow caking.

The pale white orbs that were his eyes glistened in the low lighting. It seemed as if nictitating membranes covered his eyeballs, obscuring his pupils.

"Welcome...ksk... stranger. ...ksk... You must..ksk... excuse me, but..ksk... my voice processo..processo..or..or...or..ksk.. is dys..ksk...functional." a grating, impersonal, computer generated voice greeted Simon. "What...ksk...can I do for you?"

"I was told that you might be the right person to help me acquire some special medical supplies." Simon retorted calmly.

Low bursts of static issued forth from the small speaker affixed around the pharmacists throat. It dawned upon Simon that this must be the computers translation of a bemused chuckle.
"Oh, ksk... is that so? I might...ksk... be able to help you...ksk... with that. Provided the priccce is right...ksk.. What exactly did you have in mind?"

Somehow this broken voice generator was putting Simon on edge. "I actually need two things. For one, I need a strong sedative that would put a person completely out for a couple of hours, complete with the counterdrug. I think something off the shelf might suffice for that." he replied irritated. "The second substance is a bit more complicated. I require a drug that will leave a person disoriented and deranged for a couple of days. The effect should be something akin to a psychosis, though I don't want any permanent brain damage. Just something that would overwrite normal thought patterns for a number of days and would wear off after that. It should work either upon imbibing the substance or injecting it into the blood stream." Simon finished.

The pharmacist sat silent for a few minutes, immobile. Then, the nylon strings that held his lips shut suddenly tensed and caused his cracked lips to stretch, creating a gruesome image since you could see his jaws through the little holes where the strings went through. The nanomage was grinning, Simon realized with terror.

"It...ksk..can be done. Price...ksk...is 250.000 credits." the pharmacist said.
Simon nodded in agreement and after plugging his personal credstick into an adapter, transfering the amount to an umarked stick, handed him the little transparent tube.
The pharmacist got up from his perch and ambled over to a second lab desk standing on the backwall. He switched some aparatuses on and soon, the small room was filled with the hissing and gurgling of liquids running through retorts, stills and tubes, interrubted by bursts of multi-colored light, whenever the pharmacist cast a nano formula in the process. After about 15 minutes, the pharmacist turned around and came back with two little black cartons which each held a number of small capsules and a syringe pistol injector.

"I have...ksk...done as you said. These substances...ksk...should meet your..ksk...specification..ksk..s. Good luck with them."

Simon nodded curtly and turned around to leave the little shack. He left the Warrens and headed for the West Gate. Politely greeting the Sentinels standing watch over the massive steel gates as he left Old Athens, Simon contnued on over the bridge back to West Athens, the two small boxes in a satchel by his side.
Back in his appartment he took a blck dufflebag and carefully stowed away his merchandise alongwith a laserpistol and some other tools. He then undressed and threw the grey clothes into the incinerator that normally took care of household waste. Completely nude, he entered the small hygiene cell and took a shower. After rubbing himself dry with a towel, he walked back to his closet and pulled out his black Miiir suit. "All is ready for the big action" he said to himself "I think Jolynn won't be too pleased..." With that, he dressed himself.

Dandelions

Postby Dandelions » Fri Jun 20, 2003 11:17 am

Ok... I culdn't understand half of whats written in this message... so I just posts it here... I am hungry now coz de work makes me tired.

Simon sez that everyone who meks it thru reading all this words will get a beer, or something... oh now... wait.. thats what he promised me for posting it here...

((hope you enjoy reading this... some people in WE were getting scorch marks on their fingertips for writing all that stuff... some nice entertainment, imho))

Dandelions

Postby Flameforge » Mon Jun 23, 2003 7:29 pm

Awesome. I really enjoyed reading that. Shame it's not finished yet!

Such a pleasure hearing your melodious voice, Munks. It has about as much charm as a coroners bonesaw to me, right now.

That is brilliant :)
Flameforge
Website monkey

Postby Bluelotuss » Tue Jun 24, 2003 5:34 am

Dandelions, if you see your "squishy" friend before I do please tell him how much I enjoyed the story. (and yes it took awhile to read as he said it may....but imo it was well worth it). Also, for someone who just took up writing...what a wonderfully spun tale. Anxiously awaiting an out come... :P

bluelotuss

PS.....bonesaw......ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww :o
Bluelotuss

Return to Roleplaying and the arts