Horizons

Haven to discuss other worlds than that of Rubi-Ka & Hyboria.

Postby Selavi » Fri Jan 09, 2004 6:06 pm

Been cracking at this game for around a month now and feel I got a pretty good perspective about it. So as by request I thought I post some thoughts and info about what it is about.

Story:
Setting is as already have read a fantasy one. The story is set after an invasjon of hordes of undead. After defeating the great elven city of Feledan they proceeded to attack the gnome settlers. But the races in Istaria finnaly got together and assembled an army upon wich they succesfully managed to push the undeads back. Here is where the players are introduced to the storyline.
When entering the game you get to chose from a good variaty of races (even dragons). Chosing your race and gender, you can now alter the appearence of your avatar. Colour, hair, posture, size and even facial expression. After your happy about the looks, you proceed to the training halls. Here you get 4 adventure profs to chose from: Warrior, Scout, Mage and Cleric. Also there is 3 crafts to chose from: Blacksmith, scholar and outfitter. you are opt to do some basic training quests to learn about the basics before you proceed to the starter towns.
The starter towns hold all the resources and mobs a new player could desire and will keep you there for as long as you chose to. You can even go back there later, but that will cost you far more than teleporting between the other citys in Istaria.

Personaly I liked this way of starting a game a whole lot. you learn just enough to get you startet. You will also get the weapons and equipment you need for the first 10 levels or so. Then you need to start thinking of upgrading. Here comes the cash part! To obtain the riches the land has to offer, you can either go on a hunting spree and grab whatever the mobs drop, to sell that to other players, or to the NPC called pawn broker. you are also able to spend your time as a crafter to make items you can sell off. Selling the stuff to the Consigner (player shop) will allow other players to buy what you have made/found. you set a price at your own chosing and cross your finger that someone will like your goods and buy it. Before you know it, coppers will start to jingle into your purse. or you can make loads of stuff and sell it directly to the pawnbroker and get cash fast, but at a much lower price than a player would pay.

Adventures:
Initally you get 4 adventurer profs to chose from. Warrior, scout, cleric and mage. These 4 profs make up what we call the basic profs. There is nothing wrong with sticking with that all the way. They arent all that bad.
As you gain experience, you will gain skills in certain catagorys related to the prof you are (warriors gains in combat related skills. Mainly melee). Once you have gotten enough skillpoints, you have the option to join a more prestige filled proffesion. Like ranger, reaver, paladin, chaoswarrior, battlemage and wizard to name a few (there are lots more). XP here is made from completing quests or simply by killing mobs.

Crafts:
3 classes to chose from here at the start: Scholar, blacksmith and outfitter. All the proffs here cover their own areas of crafting. Outfitter makes clothing and armour, Blacksmith makes weapons and tools and the scholar makes spells, potions and jewels to name a few things. You gain xp here by constructing items and/or doing quests. As your skill raises, you can join other prestige schools of your chosing, as long as your skill permits it. unlike the adventurer profs, you dont get penalized by multiclassing. So in theory you can join all the schools there is. I am trained in 5 shcools I think. Some guy in the guild got 10. As you progress you get acccess to more intricate formulas, and can make better items that is worth more or give better bonuses.

NB. you can be both crafter and adventurer. Those two doesnt affect one another.

What I have written here are facts, not something based on me liking the game or not. I will post more later. Like how the gameplay is like, graphics, content, events (both playermade and GM made), RP, pros and cons. For those interested, I hope this was informativ and not sensless blabbering :D
Selavi

Postby Cogs » Fri Jan 09, 2004 8:31 pm

Thank you, Selavi! That was very informative, and a good read, m8 :D!
I would like to know how the game runs....is it very resource hungry, etc....?
Thanks again, m8
Silly ole bugger
Cogs

Postby Flameforge » Fri Jan 09, 2004 11:34 pm

Really good report, Sel, thanks :)
Flameforge
Website monkey

Postby Selavi » Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:35 pm

Here we go again then with more "info".

Cogs asked about performance vs puter power?
I am running on a 1500 mhz, 768 mb ram, 64 mb graphic card and I got ISDN. I must say that the game runs okish. There is lag issue and certain areas tend to demand a little more than I got to offer, then I get lag spikes. Entering heavily populated areas I start seeing people as just "grey" avatars. After a little while the textures comes. Its a nice feature if your just running through an area, because then you wont have to load all info. But can be weird when stopping to shop or something. Again, I dont know how that would look on a better puter than I got. Atm we are all suffering from something called "inventory lag". This means that resources we are gathering wont turn up in inventory before after a certain period of time has passed. I am pretty sure this will get fixed over time as everyone is experiencing it.

Interface:
Here lies one of Horizons greatest strenghts imo. you can customize your windows and have them look exactly the way you want. Also place them where you want. Chat colour can also be adjusted to wishes you might have. (I made mine as equal to the ones I have in AO as possible) The hotkeys are also a very good one. It looks very much the same as the one in AO. You got 10 bars with 10 buttons on them. But one of the biggest differences here is that they are customizable. I can for instance make one button for craft clothes. When ever I wanna change into craftclothes, I just push the button, and voila! Fully dressed. No need to slide and drag different pieces of armour back and forth. You can also have 1 button perform several buttons in a set order. Lets say you got hotbar 2 full of spells, and you want to shoot at a mob and heal your comrades. Now you can set one button to "/assist mob - heal target (spell)- /assist target - /attack target" This macro tells you to target the teammate the mob is attacking, then heal him, then target the mob that your teammate is attacking and then continue attacking. All in 1 push of a button. This is a great function imo.

Guilds:
As in most MMORPG's out there, running around alone without having anyone to chat with, or a group to feel part of is no fun. At least it isnt for me. So I up and joined the Horizon branch of AIL. They are a nice bunch of people and I hope to sway my amarican friends to join us on the euro server once the transatlantic accounts are up and running. There is an ingame menu called "guild". Looking at this window you get all the info about all members, structure, goals, events and news to name a few. If I am not mistaken, there is also guild buildings here. We have yet to build one, so not sure what function they have (lots of buildings are ingame, but arent working as supposed to yet). We are almost done with a guild silo, and hope that it will work like a guild bank for items. Stuff you dont need, or stuff you only need for a short time only can therefor be tucked into the guild bank for others to use (this is have we hope it will be). Even tho this game provides ample options for a soloplayer, there is certain things that will make for a team effort. building houses is one of them. Buying and putting one up is possible solo, its just gonna take an amazing amount of time. So here a group is gonna be a great help. Pulling together with different skills and abilitys we can put up a building relatively fast.

GM events:
As of now there is an ongoing playerevent to set the Satyrs free. Accomplishing that will make the Satyr a new race for players to play. meaning they can be rolled as a new toon as you would elves or dwarfes. This event is the first one we as players have encountered. Rumours will have it that the Withering Aegis ((WA) the undeads we are fighting) will try and put a stop to that. Dunno how or when they will do so, but most likely a coordinated attack on some player towns seem like a possible action. WA is GM controlled and therfor one might miss out on some of them perhaps if one isnt online. They might also call it a 1-week event with sporadic attacks on the settlements for all I know, to ensure that all the players get a piece of the action. I am definatly looking forward to those. Events such as these are what they call "player triggered" events. The community have been trying to free the satyrs, so the GM's send the WA to stop it. If the players didnt try to free the satyrs, then WA wouldnt have done anything. This makes for a very dynamic community and game (if the developers and GM's keep up with the events, and not for some reason stop implementing new things for the players to find, explore or otherwise uncover).

I feel a little biased when writing this stuff, because I enjoy the game very much atm. But i have tried to be as objective as possible here.
Selavi

Postby Volais » Sat Jan 17, 2004 12:42 pm

Heh, well sel, I dunno about your sever, be we've gottewn pretty far in our attack against the undead. I myself have gone FAR beyound enemy lines. I have no idea where the hell I am ATM, but so far Im doing well..I have yet to die once (I have no deaths in this game so far..I rule!)
Volais

Postby Lindbeck » Sun Jan 18, 2004 11:54 pm

Volais wrote:..I have yet to die once (I have no deaths in this game so far..I rule!)

well, i guess you need some kind of freak accident if you are to die while chopping wood and crushing stone :shock:

but hang in there Volais, you only live twice :lol:
Dr. Kai-Otto Lindbeck - president of Forsaken
Lindbeck

Postby Selavi » Sat Jan 24, 2004 4:07 pm

Here is a link to a prewiew that we the players see as the most accurate we have read. http://www.actiontrip.com/reviews/horiz ... aria.phtml
Selavi

Postby Cogs » Sat Jan 24, 2004 11:41 pm

Dang, Selavi......after reading that review, I am again torn!! argh.......choices and decisions........argh!! :mrgreen:

Thanks for posting it :)
Silly ole bugger
Cogs

Postby Selavi » Sun Jan 25, 2004 12:12 am

Games, reviews and what to do...
Like every game that is made and released to the public there is as many different opponions about it as there are players (in most cases). What some find fun, other finds as frustrating tidbit waste of good time. As a gamer I am always in search for the "perfect" game. So far I think that MMORPG has hit closest to the target for me. Now to find the best MMORPG that fits my descreption. If you feel you can afford it, most games provide a free trial period. all you have to do is pay for the game package. Horizons provide a 30 day game period that you dont have to pay for. So trying it out and seeing for yourself is by far the best way to determine if the game is any good by your own standards.

But my advise is this: If you enjoy AO (or any other game you play), then you most likely are gonna be torn between wich game your gonna load up once the PC has booted. And a your most likely gonna end up playing the game your familiar with and thats where the people you know are. Any new MMORPG seem to be released ahead of time with lots of bugs and irritating flaws. Horizons is no different there. Still lots of things that need fixin'. So if you like AO and enjoy every game session you take part in, I see no reason to start trying out other games, especially a game that still is rather new and got bugs in it.
On the other hand, trying out new games might give you just the kind of perspective you need to decide if the current game your playing is worth continue playing, or vice versa.

Should you feel you wanna give it a go, then you'l find me on the euroserver called "wind" in a horizon guild of AIL. Great guys with lots of humour, RP and OOC rolled into one. if your living in the US, then I am not sure where peeps are. But I think that most are on the spirit server (of the people I know in AO). I do beleive that Valor eternal has set up a guild on that server. Visit their homepage if you wanna hook up with them.
Selavi

Previous

Return to Alternate Worlds