Centia Online

Haven to discuss other worlds than that of Rubi-Ka & Hyboria.

Centia Online

Postby Volais » Mon Oct 25, 2004 3:59 pm

Well..ive gone and gotten myself involved in the creation of an MMORPG. Its name? Centia Online. Most of the dev team has played AO at one time or another and its actually one of the games we're using as a model for the design. Its prolly gonna be the first MMO to really let you do anything.you wanna do. Wanna do trade? Ok. Wanna do combat? Ok. Wanna start a clan and control an empire. Ok. Thats about all Im gonna tell ya for now,

We still arent sure as to what were gonna have in it....but we do have a LOT of ideas (Im not allowed to talk about alot of it). Well..anyway, Im a Content Designer,, my current project is *low mumbled voice*....so youll see it in a little while.

So go there and help build our community...Im Xyther...duh

http://www.centia-online.com
Last edited by Volais on Tue Oct 26, 2004 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Volais

Re: Centia Online

Postby Flameforge » Mon Oct 25, 2004 4:42 pm

Volais wrote:So go there and help build our community

Go where?
Flameforge
Website monkey

Postby kickassgirly » Mon Oct 25, 2004 8:39 pm

yeah where i say also? :shock:
kickassgirly

Postby trgeorge » Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:39 pm

It's sounds like a beta...it's sounds like fun too...how big you intend to do this?
"War may be Hell....but it's good for business!"
-The Association for Merchants,Manufacturers, and Morticians
trgeorge

Postby Freuty » Mon Oct 25, 2004 11:52 pm

Maybe he means http://www.centia-online.com/ ... although not a lot of info there from wot I can see... *shrug* yet another MMO, prolly great concept, will take a heck of a lot of investment/marketing to attract a decent enough audience to keep going imho ... but who knows, could be the next big thing ;) good luck to 'em
Freuty, Veteran
Luvingston, Veteran
Freuty

Postby kickassgirly » Tue Oct 26, 2004 5:08 am

hmm... i looked at that link. i dont think its a bad idea, but it sounds a lot like AO, and its a little bit bad to (how to put this...) amlost steal or fabrikate an alreday used idea...

or have i missunderstood?

i may have... :roll:

hugs n kisses!!! :D/
kickassgirly

Postby Freuty » Tue Oct 26, 2004 7:07 am

That was the impression I got too... subsititute Anarchy for Centia and hey presto you got their concept... But they say plagiarism is the highest form of flattery, so AO concept is good, why not 'borrow' it ;)
Freuty, Veteran
Luvingston, Veteran
Freuty

Postby Gluck » Tue Oct 26, 2004 7:29 am

I'm always a sucker for trying out new MMORPGs and this one's concept art and few screenies look pretty decent. I hope that more on mechanics and character development. I've always wanted to play a game that would allow me to play exclusively with tradeskills and be fun at the same time. (We'll see if EQ2 delivers on this one) This also reminds me, and also gives me hope, that in the next few years as I save up for tuition to attend a Gaming Design college that I can be a content designer too. (Always figured that it would be too hard to get into) Anyways, enough of my rambling. Let us know when there are new and exciting updates.

Lauranna2
<a href="http://auno.org/ao/equip.php?saveid=9021">Lauranna2</a>
Gluck

Postby Flameforge » Tue Oct 26, 2004 1:29 pm

Darn, I can't even use that site in Opera.

I wonder how this project will go. Sourceforge sees many many MMOs come and go, mostly they just get to pre-alpha planning and no further simply because this are THE worst possible genre for indy developers. They just don't get finished due to the insane amount of work required.

Haven't tried it myself, but I think Freeworld is one of the few MMOs going places.
Flameforge
Website monkey

Postby Volais » Tue Oct 26, 2004 9:11 pm

Sorry for the lack of an update.

I cant really see how its AO related except in terms of core gameplay (Which we will gladly admit that well use ideas from AO...like I said..most of us love it)

Its far more action based than AO since you fight using a mainly FPS system (THats what I can understand...our main devs are cryptic at best).

As for us getting it done. Well, we will. We gotten some headlines (Ive been emailed about it from MMORPG.com and Gamergod, telling me about news stories). We will get it done. We are really committed to it. While I cant say what stage we are in, we have a dev meeting almost daily. Getting to be a chore working on this and Rise of Power. But what can I say...I love designin.

ANyway, if you want to know more..ask me and Ill tell you everything I can.
Volais

Postby Mawerick » Wed Oct 27, 2004 6:43 am

Would just like to quote something off the Centia Online forums for all those crying about stealing/borrowing/ripping off other games/concepts:

If you weren't so narrow minded, you would realise that *most* popular media is "ripped off" (and by that I mean takes elements from) something else - there is very little truly original material out there these days.

*hugs* :D
Image.
Mawerick

Postby furydemon » Wed Oct 27, 2004 7:16 am

As a gaming sucker I love to check out all games - but as many MMORPGs that I try - I still come back to AO... and I know why...

(No idea if this is the same for everyone - but if it is - make sure CO looks at it)

The complexity of your character - from the massive amounts of stats you can set - down to each point - to the utilities, clothing and implants/symbs, to additional perk system.

While I *know* there's some cookie cutting - you still feel in control - you don't ding & get given skills automatically (dear GOD final fantasy 11- what were you thinking?) with little choice on what that means...

Thats my thoughts on what I look for in these things, anyway :D
[The Cyb0r Pope Jpegg] That's Mr Bitch to you...
furydemon

Postby Mawerick » Wed Oct 27, 2004 7:52 am

Aye, I have also checked out several other MMO's, and have always returned to AO.

AO have lots of good things other games lack: Easy travel, easy access to common things, character control (like fury said, the massive amounts of stats, gear and perks really gives you the chance to develop your toon any way you like).
And it becomes more and more 'n00b'-friendly as time goes by.
My first 2 hours were quite a horrible experience compared to what new people have today. Couldn't kill anything without them evuhl birdies killing me first. And when it looked like I actually had a chance of killing something, the damn guard came by and 'helped' me... Took quite some time to get that first ding :p

Anyways... Centia Online looks interesting, and I'll be sure to check it out once it's possible :)
Image.
Mawerick

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:09 am

Once again..all i can say is that most of us LOVED AO at one point in our lives (or still do). AO will be a big influence

Postby Mawerick » Wed Oct 27, 2004 11:21 am

Good, cuz I love AO too! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
If the images posted on that site is anything to go by, the graphics are gonna be superb!
Let's hope the gameplay will live up to it ;)
Image.
Mawerick

Next

Return to Alternate Worlds