Half-Life 2

Haven to discuss other worlds than that of Rubi-Ka & Hyboria.

Half-Life 2

Postby Nusse » Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:13 am

Haven't been able to play more than a few hours yet, and seeing that it's not been out for a bit more than 6 hours, that's not too bad. From what I've seen so far, the game was worth the wait.

You'll see me back in AO when I've played through that, and if Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines is any good, I might be gone some extra days :)
Nusse

Postby BigSwede » Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:42 am

What system are you using and does the game run smoothly on it?
BigSwede

Postby Flameforge » Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:11 pm

If all goes well EB will have their stock in and I'll be collecting my box today!

*wonders if he could get away with a 'mysterious sickness' and leave work for the arvo...*
Flameforge
Website monkey

Postby Nusse » Tue Nov 16, 2004 3:04 pm

BigSwede wrote:What system are you using and does the game run smoothly on it?

I've got

Asus P4C800-E Deluxe MB
3.2 GHz P4 Prosessor
2 GB Corsair XMS Pro 4000 memory
Gainward Geforce 6800 GT "Golden Sample"

All settings on highest and 1600x1200 resolution runs like a charm.
Nusse

Postby furydemon » Tue Nov 16, 2004 3:37 pm

Flameforge wrote:*wonders if he could get away with a 'mysterious sickness' and leave work for the arvo...*

Poor angel - he was all happy & excited playing it - then starts being sick & has to go to bed to sleep! :shock: So he'll probably be off sick - yet too ill to play tomorrow...
[The Cyb0r Pope Jpegg] That's Mr Bitch to you...
furydemon

Postby furyangel » Thu Nov 18, 2004 12:58 am

damnit :(

However I did squeeze an hour or two in last night and had mega fun riding around on the air bike... this is the best game ever made... EVER! It is awesome.

Only got P4 2.2 Ghz and less than 1GB mem but the 256MB NVidia card makes it play like a dream, just get slight lag when an area has initially loaded for about 2 secs...
General of Pantheon
furyangel

Postby Flameforge » Thu Nov 18, 2004 2:48 am

Hot dang this game is impressive. Everything makes me gape, I spend half my play time staggering around just checking out the special effects and details.

Except I'm up to a part now which is scaring me just as much as Doom 3 did :shock: ... ughhhhh, bring back the Combine dudes!

I get that jerky lag too, FuryA, but also during levels when certain sounds are loading up. It's not too bad although can be a bit annoying if it makes my aim go off.
Flameforge
Website monkey

Postby Volais » Thu Nov 18, 2004 6:54 pm

try turning down the water reflections...and a couple other settings I cant remember....pretty much everyone is havin trouble with the water and such
Volais

Postby Nusse » Sun Nov 21, 2004 4:50 am

I've just finished the game. It's really the best shooter ever. Graphicswise it just blows Doom3 off the horizon, it's gripping and it rules. Being a sucker for RPG's I would have liked to see less linearity, as you've got no choices in this game but follow the path. Also the game relies heavily on scripting so events won't happen until you've reached a certain position in the level, which makes the sniping tactic more or less useless. But such minor things aside, this is the game you want santa to get you this year.

A solid 9/10 from me.
Nusse

Postby Cogs » Sun Nov 21, 2004 8:27 am

hmm....it sounds fine, but if one can finish it in a few days, its def not for me. high polish is grand, but without longevity, it kinda falls thru :)

is there any replay value?
Silly ole bugger
Cogs

Postby Volais » Sun Nov 21, 2004 10:59 am

Yes. It has replay. Multiplay will eventually come to it with the release of the SDK.

But besides that, the game is such a joy to play through, Im on my second play through right now. The last time I had this much fun was while playing Metroid Prime.

Worth every penny, I promise
Volais

Postby Flameforge » Sun Nov 21, 2004 1:49 pm

Finished it yesterday after about 20-25 hours play time. The ending was disappointing (things felt sadly unresolved), but the journey itself really was outstanding. I'll definately be playing through again some time soon.

Btw, for those who've played through, check out the HL2 demo movies from about August 2003. It's very interesting seeing their in-development stuff -- the level and weapon changes and also how much must have been axed... (remember that blue-tentacle-curling-up-and-spearing-a-Kombine scene? :P)
Flameforge
Website monkey

Postby Volais » Sun Nov 21, 2004 5:14 pm

Yeah...they changed alot. The old Guass cannon from the first was going to be in it. The new Combine AR used to be the OICW (With zoom).

THe ditched the docks.....the tanker......so much...
Volais

Postby furyangel » Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:43 am

ok smartypants people who have completed the game where the hell do I go in Nova Prospekt when I have 2 gunships trying to kill me?! (at the end of Chapter 8 - Sandtraps I believe) :evil:
General of Pantheon
furyangel

Postby Flameforge » Mon Nov 22, 2004 1:04 am

Is that when you've taken the lion ants to the top of the cliff? Yeah I had heaps of trouble there. I shot down one ship with the rockets, but the other kept axing me and took me ages to find where to go. I think you just have to work your way further into the complex, away from the cliff area...
Flameforge
Website monkey

Next

Return to Alternate Worlds