Change of scenery, or what to do when your bored

Haven to discuss other worlds than that of Rubi-Ka & Hyboria.

Change of scenery, or what to do when your bored

Postby HealerKat » Thu Nov 18, 2004 5:26 am

After 3 years of playing ao, and only ao, i need something to do when im fed up and dont want to log in. SWG was bought, tested and uninstalled in one week. I dont consider this a good game :p
So i need some help from you guys.
Im looking for a MMORPG that i can try out. I will not leave AO, but i need a change of scenery. What i want you guys to do is to try to figure out what game i should buy and test.

The game should:
-Not be too hard. I need to solo it since im not dedicating too much time for it
-Not be too complex. Im blond remember. After 3 years i still cant make an implant :p
- have GREAT graphic's. I want to look at the screen, and get tears in my eyes.
- have a friendly community. As good as AO,but i doubt that it is a game as good as AO. <--- This rules out SWG :p
- have a 7 or 14 trial period, but if it doesnt its no biggie.. Since one of you guys think its great.
- be DL'able. once again this is not a must. I can buy it.. but its no fun owning a game you have bought, wich suxxors big time. SWG was one of my worst buys.
-be fun to play, and should offer me as a player alot of things to do.

Hope one of you knows of a good game that i can try.

Kat
Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics; even if you win you're still look like a retard.
HealerKat

Postby Freuty » Thu Nov 18, 2004 5:35 am

Well, I would recommend you give EQ2 a try, you have to buy it currently, but it comes with 30days free subscription. Graphics are awesome, although you need a decent spec PC with plenty of RAM (512Mb minimum).

I've only played for a short time, but it certainly makes a nice change from AO... community seems pretty friendly in the main, groups seem easy to come by, at least in the starter areas :)

It's certainly not as complex as AO, at least I don't think so, everything is pretty much laid out for you on a plate... the quests are very descriptive such that you shouldn't get lost ;) You don't have to micro manage stats and wot not - which might be a downside for me later on, but fine for now and certainly keeps things simpler :)

And lastly, it's got me n Rahmo there on the Runnyeye server so what more could u ask for ;)

I did try Saga of Ryzom recently too, but quickly ditched that since it was released in a worse state than AO was... :|

Eve is another game I tried thats nice to look at but seems to me very complex.... although I like how you can learn your skills in real time, ie. when offline as well as when playing...

Just my 2penneth ... I'm also looking forward to WoW but haven't tried it and it's not out so can't really comment.
Freuty, Veteran
Luvingston, Veteran
Freuty

Postby Cogs » Thu Nov 18, 2004 5:49 am

Ill just refer you to the WoW thread, HK :)
The game has a nice learning curve, which eases you into the play and advancement quite nicely. In addition, you mention graphics. Well, Im not a fanboi...but I must say WoW has some pretty darn nice eyecandy, and its not too harsh on the hardware either. Im running it nicely on a 1.2ghz , 512mb ram, geforce5700 128mb setup, and for the most part this has proved sufficient for me. Having tweaked the gfx settings some, for example turning off Trilinear Filtering, upped performance by a lot. I lost most all of the stuttering by doing that. Then again, my machine would have to be considered low-end in this day and age :)

Friendly community (from what I have seen), nice quests(both soloable and group requiring) and a nice backstory. And....tradeskills......AND..fishing!! :D

WoW will be my alternative to AO. AO will most probably stay my number 1 , but WoW will take a nice second spot.
Silly ole bugger
Cogs

Postby Renegader » Thu Nov 18, 2004 10:37 am

As Cogs said, World of Warcraft is the game for you! :)
I just love the graphic and the world, can spend ours just walking around, exploring. (Trust me, you will cry) :D
If you want a easy game, then you can stop searching.. In my opinion, this game is a lil too easy, but it doesnt matter that much, I like it, no need to try push the stats to get uber items in :P
About the community i dont know, but you will have an friendly ol' enfy to run around with :wink:

If this isnt enough then please let me try talk you into playing this :P
.. I will succeed :twisted:

Visit www.worldofwarcraft.com for more information or PM me if ya want to know anything :)
- Retired
Renegader

Postby Selavi » Thu Nov 18, 2004 1:45 pm

Myself got the EQ2 gamebox lying next to me on the desk here. Gonna install and give it a go as soon as I get my puter upgraded. It looks very nice from the screenshots Ive seen, and from what I have heard others say. Not gonna try WoW at all. It looks to cartoonish for my taste. Other than that, the two games sound rather similar (without having testet either of them).
They call this war a cloud over our nation.
Man made this weather, and now he is standing in the rain, saying ”Shit! Its raining!”
Selavi

Postby Cogs » Thu Nov 18, 2004 2:13 pm

Not gonna try WoW at all. It looks to cartoonish for my taste.

Funny you should say that, Sel m8 :)......I had the exact same thoughts, and beleive I have uttered it on several occasions. The thing is..when you actually try it, you get a very different impression.

I would like to check out EQ2 as well....but have to draw a line when it comes to investing in boxes of software that may or may not end up on my shelf, lol.
Silly ole bugger
Cogs

Postby Freuty » Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:22 am

btw, EQ2 has fishing too ;)

WoW isn't out yet for us europeans, so not really a current option sadly :( EQ2 is out and up n running.. give it a go.
Freuty, Veteran
Luvingston, Veteran
Freuty

Postby furydemon » Fri Nov 19, 2004 4:20 am

didn't like it :cry: Not sure what doesn't appeal - but I much prefered WoW to EQ2..

I'm just so tempted by the US WoW package.... mmMmm
[The Cyb0r Pope Jpegg] That's Mr Bitch to you...
furydemon

Postby Freuty » Fri Nov 19, 2004 5:30 am

I also would love to get my hands on WoW, however, here's the OFFICIAL word from Blizzard on regional issues...

"If I live in Europe or Asia and have preordered a US version of the game from an online retailer, will I be able to play the game when I receive it?

Players who do not use a method of payment accepted in North America and who do not have a North American billing address will not be able to play on US servers. Therefore, we highly recommend that players in other regions instead preorder the game for their local region and purchase their World of Warcraft subscription when the game launches locally to them."

So, until I hear someone has tried with an import and got it to register and work ok, I'll have to wait :(
Freuty, Veteran
Luvingston, Veteran
Freuty

Postby Timpuri » Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:40 am

WoW´s graphs really look like cartoonish, and i think of it as the world it supposed to be like (Its same kind of graphs as in Warcrafts)
And talk about the how it runs on comps, i got alot trouble with my new hardware in ao and still have poor performance in many occasions but in wow i didnt even tweak the graphs, just start playing and it runned very fine with default settings...
Anyways, i grew to like it alot...its much easier to eyes than AO is, i didnt have any headaches during the beta and so id say its much easier to my eyes... I allready quit AO once because i thought it makes my head pound, now im more convinced of the fact and might shelf that game for now...
Its not all because of the graphs that makes my head pound in AO ya know (Ohh, Hecklers anyone?) :mrgreen:
Now it would be a perfect time to play those offline games ive missed during the AO phase :D/
Tura Timpuri, Engineer

"Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
When catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults"
Timpuri

Return to Alternate Worlds