Another World

Haven to discuss other worlds than that of Rubi-Ka & Hyboria.

Another World

Postby BlueMeenie » Thu Jun 30, 2005 6:53 am

We have all been around the block a few times when it comes to MMOG
and i have an idea i would like to try out.

I recon there are about 15-20 main MMOG's out there, but i find that none of them relly do it for me, the way in which AO used to, (my first mmog)

I have the idea of designing the ultimate MMOG, ( on paper only)
take the best bits of each, add some new ideas, and what would we get ?

i will start the ball rolling with my own ideas

PVP
Consent only, but with risk and reward.
Bounty hunters in SWG was a great concept, we need some of that

Universe
Hmm, I kinda like the idea of Stargate SG1 , where you can jump from plannet to plannet, that way you can introduce all species and technology.

Oh, it also needs to be in a single universe, hmm , everyone starts out on their real life earthly locations, and it develops from there ? hmmm
no multiple servers.

Leveling
trick one, i guess a mix of time based minimum like eve + an element of effort based leveling like AO, and something else, hmm

Social
AO was cool, i would be happy with that, but brought upto date.

Music
The Audio from SWG was great, not just because it was from SW, but it was the right music at the right time, add a little gridstream to this too i guess

Immersion
this is the key, it needs to be like "you are relly there" sending ppl tells isnt immersive, tells are out, replaced by ??? hmmmm

oh and no zoning, zones are bad

Trading
Trading in EVE online was awesome, complicated tho. add a little dis enchanting from wow, so you can reverse engineer would be nice.

make it possible to lvl up from trading and crafting, Ohh, then add punkbuster

Professions
This should be expanded upon, i dont like having to tightly classify myself,
there should be hundreds, thousands of professions i can pick from.

Questing / Missions
this should be profession specific, like agents in Eve, but add an large element of randomness , and importance. where the result of your mission will enable a guildie to then do the next step, (diff prof)

Graphical Style
Definatly not wow, its unbelieveibly Gareish and bright, dayglow even.
Disney land springs to mind here.
maybe a cross between unreal and swg, realism is good, atmoshpheric, something you can relate to, maybe with real world locations for the initial startup areas.

Storyline
Hmm how about the survival of the human race.

Communication

the universal translator needs to be included, just like the better web services of eng -> norwegian text

i will develop this as you drop suggestions
Maxnano.......214 NT.
Weemax........190 Keeper.
Bluemeenie....175 Fixer.
Fangtooth.......158 Adv.
DrFroid...........151 Doc.

Elektraa..........28 Warrior WOW
Cpt Max..........6mill sp char, Eve
Fangtooth........SWG
BlueMeenie

Postby Cogs » Thu Jun 30, 2005 4:07 pm

This is interesting, m8....and one hell of a project :)
Its too late for me too contribute at this hour, but Ill try to help out once I have some time.....and at a time when my eyes arent closing, hehe :)
Silly ole bugger
Cogs

Postby Flameforge » Mon Jul 04, 2005 2:45 pm

An article here about casual gamers for MMOs too.
http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/games/archi ... _bite.html

Also this article about if MMOs are ready for mainstream.
http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20050 ... g_01.shtml

I love this illustration LOL (from above article)
Flameforge
Website monkey

Postby BigSwede » Tue Jul 05, 2005 5:32 am

I'd like to see a development on the profession area of MMORPG's. I haven't played so many MMORPG's so I can't say I have too much experience, but the ones I have played have had quite some differences in them.

What I would like to see is more diversity and especially more dependancy between professions. To make a supersonic stargate timer-watch you need to have components made by a wide range of professions. Glass, electronics, leather (for the armband ofcourse!), cogs (no, not the guy..) etc.. In SWG that worked pretty good allthough not good enough, in WoW there are way too few professions wich makes it too hard to be unique.

But lets face it, you can't mimic life, atleast not yet. The game would never be ready to publish and the computers would need to have alot more power to play it properly.

What I liked with SWG was the fact that you could play a character, do loads of stuff get alot of xp, level and earn money even without killing anything. Boring in the long run perhaps, but I kinda liked the idea of that anyway.

To go off to one of the less populated worlds and kill stuff in your game Meenie, I'd like to see the need for not just combat classes but also support professions. Make people play chars that aren't just aimed for combat. Make them the need to have engineers, or pilots, or what ever too. Have people set up businesses for travelling for instance. Taxi-flights, boatservices etc. Make the damn gryphpoints playerowned! :)
Problem might be tho that people will loose interest in the end and there wont be enough people to support certain professions...

Ohwell.. I guess I get too many stupid ideas in my head :p
BigSwede

Postby furydemon » Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:00 pm

One thing wow has got almost right (when it works!) imo is the mix of MMO & FPS that is the battle grounds.

Now before ppl complain they can't get in etc - fine - thats a problem I agree...

BUT once you're inside - my god its so much fun! AO pvp was the most deathly experience for me -lag, professions differences etc - in WoW because you can either be PvPing OR off flag capturing/defending running OR off doing quests that help your side too. If you're a crappy reaction time pvper like me there's so many other ways to help, if you're hardcore you're in the thick of it. And the fact that it's a place to go to when you're in the mood - not all the time - sweet!

My first thoughts anyway... I'm sure I'll have more!
[The Cyb0r Pope Jpegg] That's Mr Bitch to you...
furydemon

Return to Alternate Worlds