Now what?

Haven to discuss other worlds than that of Rubi-Ka & Hyboria.

Now what?

Postby Selavi » Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:28 am

With all the MMORPG's out there, what are ye all playing (if any). And with all the new ones coming out soon, what are you gonna look for with anticipation and most likely play? Since we all know the importance of the community, no MMORPG is going to fan out very well if you cant play in a good community or with likeminded people.

Personaly I am not playing any atm, just popping in to AO every now and then. Holding out for either Dungeons and Dragons, or Imperator (from the guys that made the Camelot game, name escapes me. Daoc I think is the abrivation). Would be cool to know what games people are gonna try out ones it hit the shelves, and maybe plan to start on same server if feasable.
Also gonna check out Hellgate London. From the guys that made Diablo. The trailer looks awesome, and promise both single player and MMORPG possibillities.

So to sum up (from what I know is coming in the near future):
• Imperator
• Dungeons and Dragons
• Hellgate London
They call this war a cloud over our nation.
Man made this weather, and now he is standing in the rain, saying ”Shit! Its raining!”
Selavi

Postby Smacdevil » Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:51 am

Even though I'm not planning to leave AO, I sure would like to give Age of Conan a try, if I have the time that is ;)
Smacdevil

Postby Nusse » Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:14 am

Short answer would be none, as no mmorpg shortly to be relased is even close to interesting me.

Hellgate London won't be a mmorpg in the same sense as the traditional mmorpgs as this will be handled more like Diablo and battle.net. I'm looking forward to try out the single player part of the game at least.

I'm pretty sure I'll be following age of conan to see what it looks like, but I'm not totally convinced yet wether it's a keeper or not. FC is developing another mmorpg as well which is hush-hush atm, but there is speculation that it might be sci-fi related.

To be honest I'm pretty much fed up with all the mmorpgs with fantasy settings, as well as all the mmorpgs that has been dumbed down to make it accessible for all kinds of players (like WoW, AC2 and DAoC), and the games that are just based on timesinks to make the player play forever without really getting anywhere (SWG,WoW, and so on). Any game that doesn't have a lot of different stats that you can change (based on your own choosing) and ability to twink your character is just boring imo. Sadly most of the mmorpgs in development
Nusse

Postby Cogs » Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:16 am

Hey guys :)
Well, currently Im mainly playing Eve! Must say I enjoy it, with its deep story and enormous potential for trade, and an intricate and interesting manufacturing system. Its not for the impatient though.....learning curve is semi-steep, and learning your skills are conducted in real-time. You will continue to learn the selected skill also when offline, so with decent planning, you dont loose precious skill time training when offline. Knowing that some skills takes 21+ days to train, this is a good thing :)

Im mostly only looking for one game on the horizon when it comes to online games: LOTRO......or Lord of the Rings Online. Set to release sometime mid 2006, it is still a ways off tho :)

Hope youre doing good, guys :) Hope to see you soon!
Silly ole bugger
Cogs

Postby LilBurst » Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:49 am

I think i'm pretty much burned out on the MMORPG thing too, however, Auto Assault looks to be pretty interesting.
LilBurst

Postby Syriii » Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:23 am

EVE bored the shit out of me, not sure why, it looked interesting but just..... wasn't.

Me and a couple of buddies from Neocron tried it for a few months, just too boring I'm afraid!

Wonder if it's any better now :) This was over a year ago when I tried it.
Level 213/13 Enforcer, Pantheon, Anarchy Online

Level 45 Night Elf Rogue, Ancarim Iron Legion, World of Warcraft.
Syriii

Postby Jasper2002 » Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:13 am

Still AO for me primarily, although I tried Eve on free trial for 14 days. I did more whilst afk at work than I did in game :shock:

I have way too many goals in AO to stop or even slow down now, so AO is gonna remain my focus, as is Cerberus for a very long time to come :D

I wish there was a way of getting chat bots in different game to connect so we could chat to you guys in other worlds. Would be nice if you dropped by from time to time, even on a fr00b account :)
Jasper2002

Postby Syriii » Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:40 pm

Hehe yea Jasper that would be cool, intergame chat servers :D

Would be awesome to talk to everyone from WoW in AO :D

(edit: actually, mIRC chat is a useful proggy for doing just that, I used to talk to my old Ultima Online buddies whilst playing Neocron with it)
Level 213/13 Enforcer, Pantheon, Anarchy Online

Level 45 Night Elf Rogue, Ancarim Iron Legion, World of Warcraft.
Syriii

Postby Freuty » Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:44 am

Still WoW for me at the mo and for the foreseable future... still finding it fun, so that's where I'll be found :D albeit in AIL rather than Cerbs...

Altho I kinda agree with Nusse, having stats to fiddle around with is great thing ... but, as I think Vhairi said, AO stat fiddling is really just a smokescreen since most folks put the points in the same stats anyway so wots the point... guess it just gives u that feeling of having some control... *shrug* I do wish WoW had a little more in the way of stat variety, but I guess the equipment makes up for that.

Anyway, back on topic, upcoming games, not sure... Age of Conan doesn't really float my boat as yet... quite interested in the Warhammer thing if that ever gets off the ground. Auto Assault too looked good :) But then again, there is a ton of content coming up for WoW, so looking forward to that too :D New expansion, Hero Classes, more raid content, new dungeons etc

I sometimes pine for the 'good old days' of AO, so maybe if they make an AO2 that'd be worth trying ... just to see how many bugs they can fit in ;)

Like the suggestion of IRC, think Keho tried setting that up at one point... maybe you could resurrect that?

Hope everyone is doing good (certainly sounds like it) ... and come look us up on Shadowsong sometime ;)

F.
Freuty, Veteran
Luvingston, Veteran
Freuty

Postby Jpegg » Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:55 am

Freuty wrote:I sometimes pine for the 'good old days' of AO, so maybe if they make an AO2 that'd be worth trying ... just to see how many bugs they can fit in ;)
F.

It was the community feeling I feel was the biggest impact AO held in its first years. Even though it is still there in some respects, after all this time, it tends to form around friendships made and guildmates but I guess you could say that with any game of its kind. Back when we were all together, you could walk down the streets of WA or through Tir and make a dozen long lasting friends by the time you reached the whompas. I think AO saw the last of this in any game and these days, we have a new breed of player... on who subscribes and plays and progresses until a new game catches his/her eye.

I think we all pine for the early days of AO but I dont think any game released now or on the horizon will bring back that feeling again.

I'll add this though... the thing I miss the most is the life controlling addiction I used to have for AO, the thing that made me play for 48 hours straight without sleep. These days, I log in and if nothing is happening or I don't feel like doing anything, I simply log out. WTB the old days ;)
Jpegg

hey

Postby BlueMeenie » Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:20 am

So true JP, i completly understand where your comming from,

whenever ive been away fron AO and return, i start thinking of the good old days, and i know too that those days will not return, in any game.

Im now playing eve again
http://www.eve-online.com

i love the complexity both political and economical. if any of you want to try it out on a 14 day free pass, gime a shout.
Maxnano.......214 NT.
Weemax........190 Keeper.
Bluemeenie....175 Fixer.
Fangtooth.......158 Adv.
DrFroid...........151 Doc.

Elektraa..........28 Warrior WOW
Cpt Max..........6mill sp char, Eve
Fangtooth........SWG
BlueMeenie

Postby Gearsoul » Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:06 pm

WOW WOW WOW *twitch*

*spasm*

*collapses on floor*

Got my Priest to 60. Gonna get her into a ton of +mana gear. While waiting for the guild (US Server you darn Norwegians and Swedes!) to grow I'm levelling up a NE Warrior to play. Going Arms with a little Fury, so when she gets to 60 and gets into some decent gear...PvP!!!! AHHAHAHA!!!

Warriors PWN in PvP!!!!

-Gearsoul/Foesmite (AKA Lanara in WoW)
Gearsoul

Postby keho » Mon Aug 15, 2005 2:22 am

*roots the silly warrior*
My signature is on a strike
keho

Postby furydemon » Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:40 pm

Gearsoul wrote:Warriors PWN in PvP!!!!

Hunter = Squished warrior...

I love mass pvp - poor warriors never get to charge me :D
[The Cyb0r Pope Jpegg] That's Mr Bitch to you...
furydemon

Postby Auro » Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:45 pm

Gearsoul wrote:WOW WOW WOW *twitch*

*spasm*

*collapses on floor*

Got my Priest to 60. Gonna get her into a ton of +mana gear. While waiting for the guild (US Server you darn Norwegians and Swedes!) to grow I'm levelling up a NE Warrior to play. Going Arms with a little Fury, so when she gets to 60 and gets into some decent gear...PvP!!!! AHHAHAHA!!!

Warriors PWN in PvP!!!!

-Gearsoul/Foesmite (AKA Lanara in WoW)

Hehehe :p

I loooove my priest..mm..oh the dmg....oh the fun in PVP..*sigh* she is just a beauty :mrgreen:

I do agree with JP,the old days in AO...those were just really awsome...its hard to explain..i dont think ive experienced those kinda days in other games.
But i do think it might be because most of the people i met way back in AO,was like me,first Online game...etc etc.
Now most have tried several before settling down with only one..i guess for me atleast...the lessons learned,its not tha teasy to catch that "feeling" we experienced way back in the early days of AO.
I got a ton of friends for that period..friends thats still stuck with pesky Auro 4 years later :lol: 8)
Retired Guild Master AIL Eu-WOW.
Currently awaiting new adventures!
Auro

Next

Return to Alternate Worlds