Vanguard: Saga of Heroes

Haven to discuss other worlds than that of Rubi-Ka & Hyboria.

Vanguard: Saga of Heroes

Postby Murderall » Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:05 pm

I've went for a little wander one day and fell through a hole in the ground, but instead of finding myself swimming in some grey block graphics thing, I dropped through to Thestra. Tried /petition but no one came :)

Anyway, gone on a little jaunt as I got one of the live beta keys today. Anyone else planning a little safari to Vanguard? 8)
Teh Coolest agent on Rubi-Ka 8)

Teh stuff I use right now Out of date!
Murderall

Postby Shinali » Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:22 pm

Yes Ive been thinking of trying it once its out.
Shinali

Postby Nusse » Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:20 am

in the beta as well, but haven't had much time to play it.
Nusse

Postby furydemon » Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:07 am

Got beta for that & lotr - lotr has won out in terms of wanting to play - but since they seem to have killed login on it - its back to wow to prepare for tbc:P
[The Cyb0r Pope Jpegg] That's Mr Bitch to you...
furydemon

Postby Nusse » Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:11 am

Spent some time and got to level 8 in lotr yesterday after finally getting access to the beta. lotr looks really good and is very finished and playable compared to Vanguard. Both have implemented a good deal of ideas from both WoW and EQ2, and both stay away from the cartoonish graphics of WoW. Going to be a pretty interesting year MMO-wise :)
Nusse

Postby Murderall » Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:08 am

Well, prelim update on Vsoh.

Figured I would go Ranger as prof (as everyone knows I love ranged ) and, the prof works ok, needs polishing though.
The major gripe I have with rangers right now is their playerbase. They appear to be made up, about 90%, of old EQ rangers that want them to play almost exactly the same as the EQ ones. The WoW hunter is derided, most other games are derided and I feel quite an outcast among their little community. I really dislike the World of Warcraft hate that seems to be prevalent as sometimes I fell like I'm playing a graphically better version of the same game. Sure there's more to do but how long before battlefields are introduced I wonder.

Something I find funny....the game appears to play a lot like WoW....the player character movement is similar, the way things are handled is also similar. Even The graphics are a bit more refined than the, imo, slightly cartoonish quality I experiences in WoW but that causes fps problems I haven't encountered before with my current comp set up. Probably doesn't help with the beta servers being based in the states.

Time to try a different prof, maybe the universal Warrior or the brand spanking new Pscionicist :-''

See you guys soon if the whole game is proliferated with EQ fanbois 8)

Murderall

Postby Murderall » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:43 am

Hey Furydemon, you managed to play on LoTR at all?

Vanguard isn't floating my boat at all atm. It has a crafting setup that is much improved on World of Warcrafts and the beta bugs and lack of some content don't particularly bother me. Neither does the amazing lag at peak times because of the servers being in America.

As I mentioned in the above post I feel like I'm playing an improved version of WoW right now and I've gotten a bit fed up of it. Don't get me wrong, WoW was very nice and so is Vanguard, but they just seem too soft to me, too rounded. And the amount of solo content is poor, the solo quests are far too easy. For a solo style player this doesn't bode well from the start. The EQ fanbois are annoying as well, they appear to be following Brad McQaid (spelling?) and hoping for EQ3

AO has an edge to it that I'm trying to find elsewhere. AC had the same edge but I never got to play it that much, just tinkering a bit with Doctains toons. Need that edge to enjoy things methinks. I think it's a problem moving from one MMO to another as you always end up comparing and missing certain aspects of the game you've just left. Wonder if all games are heading towards the fluffy cloud feeling. A little example....I started as a halfling on Van beta server and thought that the graphics of the area were cool and sweet and very hobbit-like. I did a few, too, easy quests and left the area, only to find that everything else looked really cool and sweet too. Bordinars Cleft, the dwarven stronghold made me think of a block of concrete flats, not as I'd hoped, a rough hewn struggle for existence I'd read about. Things aren't dirty enough....Argh!!

/disappointment off

Anyway, looking for a preliminary overview of LoTR before I really dedicate my less than plentiful time to Vanguard or jump back into AO :)

Murderall

Postby furydemon » Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:44 am

I actually got sucked into wow for the expansion so I passed the key over to furyangel - he's playing it a bit at the min - but says its too 'wow-like- for his tastes - lots of questing & instances.

Has some nice features though, like he didnt die for the first 5 levels so automatically got the title furyangel the wary - etc...
[The Cyb0r Pope Jpegg] That's Mr Bitch to you...
furydemon

Postby Murderall » Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:48 pm

LoTR too WoW like? That's not so good.

Well, have been looking at AoC recently and that seems to be quite the experience. May have an attempt at getting on beta now VSoH beta is over 8)

Murderall

Postby Volais » Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:29 pm

I played LOTR and I currently play Vanny.
I have gotten sucked into Vanny. Surprisingly good.

If anyone gets it, hop onto Varking server, wouldn't mind playin with an old guildmate.
Volais

Return to Alternate Worlds